Can Smiling Make You Faster or the Ride Easier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Was knackered going to work today on the bike. Not a huge amount more energy this afternoon either.

Had some good news before leaving which left me smiling the whole way home...along with a very fast time for the usual 8 mile commute home in the usual traffic, with the same weather and wind conditions as other days.

Made me wonder whether it was as a result of the good news, and wanting to tell my Wife in person, or whether the actual act of smiling can make you faster or the effort feel easier?

Anyone experienced similar?

Anyone fancy trying it for no apparent reason on their next ride?

Between us we could really frighten our fellow cyclists/pedestrians/drivers on our commute tomorrow!?! :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm glad that you got good news!

I don't know about good news making things feel easier, but being distracted definitely can. I ride up a lot of tough hills and I am not exactly built for climbing so I usually find them hard work. I have noticed many times that if I am chatting to someone while climbing a hill, I barely notice it***. The same thing happens if I am deep in thought. It is as though I have to think about the discomfort to be able to experience it.

*** Unless the hill is so steep that I can't talk and ascend it at the same time!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Just checked my ride data and my average power output was about 10% higher than usual, which obviously explains the faster time, but means there was no silly tailwind that would explain the effort away.

mgs315

Just checked my ride data and my average power output was about 10% higher than usual, which obviously explains the faster time, but means there was no silly tailwind that would explain the effort away.

Hah cue a load of grinning idiots on their next FTP test :tongue:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Perhaps you should tell this lot ... they would love the marginal gain ...
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsoFMEq3oCF3yh3ZOuaJ2hXij2OnMAZ8RK9Mp7DYSeFZYuXvvr.jpg

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
N

Lighthearted:rolleyes:.
We await your ride data for a ride taken with a forced smile as opposed to a natural smile.
I will see what I can do.

I can tell you that there was no reason to smile in the headwind commute in, with the refuse truck full of warm rancid bin bags wafting in front of me today. :sad:

snorri

Legendary Member
I can tell you that there was no reason to smile in the headwind commute in, with the refuse truck full of warm rancid bin bags wafting in front of me today. :sad:
I share your pain, 9C in a head wind caused me to curtail my trip today, although the strong wind only smelled of pine trees and assorted agricultural aromas:smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm glad that you got good news!

I don't know about good news making things feel easier, but being distracted definitely can. I ride up a lot of tough hills and I am not exactly built for climbing so I usually find them hard work. I have noticed many times that if I am chatting to someone while climbing a hill, I barely notice it***. The same thing happens if I am deep in thought. It is as though I have to think about the discomfort to be able to experience it.

*** Unless the hill is so steep that I can't talk and ascend it at the same time!
See THIS POST!

Top Bottom