Can somebody summarise helmet-gate for me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I don't think I have the energy to wade through the many threads regarding the helmet debate. Is there a thread on here that summarises the general line of thought as to why helmets are a waste of time?

Personally, I never wear one. I do own one, but after being forced to wear it once by my wife it just gave me neck ache on a 160km ride so I didn't bother again. It's sat back in its box now.

A mate of mine was out training for Ironman UK a few days ago and had a nasty off. A car pulled out on him whilst he was travelling at circa 30mph. He was wearing a lid and suffered a hit to the head. He suffered a head injury and I think was knocked out for a while. He has no uncertainty that the lid saved his life, or at the very least saved him from a nastier injury.

I struggle to understand how an anti-helmet argument could stand up against the example above...and this is coming from someone who doesn't wear one!

So, does such a thread exist? I just want the facts ideally, without the emotion. Is that even possible lol?

Dan B

Disengaged member
I expect most of the threads you don't want to read were triggered by posts such as the one you made.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
There are no Anti-Helmet threads, there are however plenty of Anti-Compulsion.
I can understand that. I don't wear one but I don't begin to try and justify my decision other than I just don't like wearing them. So I wouldn't like to be forced to wear one.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Basically one anecdote doesn't make for data. When you compare helmet wearing rates with rates of head injury there isn't an improvement, ergo they don't really do much. The only direct correlation you tend to find is a drop in cycling where helmets are compelled.

brand

The same with motor bike helmets. Utter rubbish said those who didn't ware them. Don't know anyone who has problem with wearing them now.Even the most diehards anti helmets say it was the right thing to do. If helmets do save lives or even reduce injuries then tuff if the government brings in compulsory wearing of helmets. As the NHS is funded by all taxpayers then they, the non cyclist have right to demand this. As they did with motorcycle helmets and seat belts.
Now do they save lives..... Well they don't result in more deaths. Do they reduce injuries. That is100% certainty. Now when I slide on the floor on my face only the end of my nose gets scratched and only because I use a multi purpose helmet which doesn't have a peak... no I haven't got huge nose. Instead of 30 odd stitches in my face and an eyelid hanging on by thread I just get a little graze on the end of my normal sized nose!
Talking to a bike mechanic a couple of years ago. 70 year old bloke who cycled all his life and virtually everyday on retirement had been in and bought a helmet. I had seen the old bloke around so knew he never wore an helmet. WHY. He came off on a steep hill and almost scalped himself. His scalp was held on by little bit of skin on the back of his head. Soon as he got out of hospital straight round bought a helmet and back out on his bike for a days cycling.
End of story they reduces injuries and at the very least they saves lives sometimes. There not perfect... but neither are motorcycle helmets. You will have great difficulty finding a motorcyclists who wouldn't wear a helmet if the law was changed.

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
As you can see many in the pro camp don't actually look at the evidence :rolleyes:

brand

As you can see many in the pro camp don't actually look at the evidence :rolleyes:
What evidence. I have clearly supplied evidence. It is beyond doubt that wearing a helmet reduces injuries. The evidence for reducing fatalities maybe up for debate. But suggesting it doesn't reduce injuries is just ludicrous. Happy to hear your evidence that they don't reduce injuries. Surprise me and supply it.

Last edited:

brand

I can understand that. I don't wear one but I don't begin to try and justify my decision other than I just don't like wearing them. So I wouldn't like to be forced to wear one.
Up to the last sentence I used to agree but sliding along ground on my face was touch painful. I tried a standard helmet but gave up until I spotted one I liked. Multi purpose protects side of your head unlike standard ones. Useful as I know someone who came of there bike and hit the kerb. There was enough of gap to put him in coma for months.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Up to the last sentence I used to agree but sliding along ground on my face was touch painful. I tried a standard helmet but gave up until I spotted one I liked. Multi purpose protects side of your head unlike standard ones. Useful as I know someone who came of there bike and hit the kerb. There was enough of gap to put him in coma for months. Never liked him anyway. Bit of cabbage now.
That last sentence is a bit mean, to say the least. Regardless of wether you liked the person or not.
Questions:
Hit in 2005, by a car coming out of a junction. I ended up being carried on the bonnet, having made contact with the bonnet with my head.
Informed later at the hospital that the helmet actually increased the injury. Does that mean they're unsafe?
Currently recovering from a base of skull injury, that occurred in the house. Part & parcel of everyday life for me. But should they(helmets) be worn all the time and which hellmet will protect against a base of skull injury?

snorri

Legendary Member
A mate of mine was out training for Ironman UK a few days ago and had a nasty off. A car pulled out on him whilst he was travelling at circa 30mph.
I think you have to clarify if you are discussing helmet wearing for sport cyclists or real utility cyclists. Sports people in general tend to put less emphasis on safety and more on performance resulting in them being involved in more crashes and suffering more injuries. Personally, I seldom reach 15mph, and 30 is way beyond the pale for me.

You say "I just want the facts ideally, without the emotion, Is that even possible lol?" yet relate a rather unfortunate tale regarding your friend to us:sad:.
Well no, there are no facts, it's a matter for each individual to evaluate the pros and cons.

I don't think I have the energy to wade through the many threads regarding the helmet debate. Is there a thread on here that summarises the general line of thought as to why helmets are a waste of time?

Personally, I never wear one. I do own one, but after being forced to wear it once by my wife it just gave me neck ache on a 160km ride so I didn't bother again. It's sat back in its box now.

A mate of mine was out training for Ironman UK a few days ago and had a nasty off. A car pulled out on him whilst he was travelling at circa 30mph. He was wearing a lid and suffered a hit to the head. He suffered a head injury and I think was knocked out for a while. He has no uncertainty that the lid saved his life, or at the very least saved him from a nastier injury.

I struggle to understand how an anti-helmet argument could stand up against the example above...and this is coming from someone who doesn't wear one!

So, does such a thread exist? I just want the facts ideally, without the emotion. Is that even possible lol?

Very simple....

A mate of mine was out shopping a few days ago and fell over. A shopping trolley pulled out on him whilst he was travelling at circa 3mph. He was wearing a lid and suffered a hit to the head. He suffered a head injury and I think was knocked out for a while. He has no uncertainty that the lid saved his life, or at the very least saved him from a nastier injury.

Is this unequivocal proof for pedestrian helmets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom