Can somebody summarise helmet-gate for me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

My summary of both sides as I see it:

People who don't wear helmets are not interested in their own safety
People who wear helmets are not interested in the evidence

I hope that clears things up!
Sorry but I have proved beyond a doubt that wearing helmet protects you from injuries. I like my face the way it is. If you think sliding on the floor on my face without a helmet will result in the same injuries as with helmet then you are one of those people who lie to themselves. A smoker who denies that it is unhealthy would be good example of your mind set.

brand

Do the chances of damage / injury not increase the faster an object is traveling at the point of impact?
You mean like high velocity bullet compared to an air rifle rated a 12? Obviously!

Sorry but I have proved beyond a doubt that wearing helmet protects you from injuries. I like my face the way it is. If you think sliding on the floor on my face without a helmet will result in the same injuries as with helmet then you are one of those people who lie to themselves. A smoker who denies that it is unhealthy would be good example of your mind set.
A perfect example of my point 1, thank you for illustrating it. I make no mention if whether you should or shouldn't wear a helmet I have just summarised what I see are the 2 camps.

brand

A perfect example of my point 1, thank you for illustrating it. I make no mention if whether you should or shouldn't wear a helmet I have just summarised what I see are the 2 camps.
Nice one but my point is right end of. On the other hand I make no reference to fatalities. Head butting a car head on or tree for that matter.

brand

No one is suggesting that helmets are incapable of preventing some injuries, especially some minor ones. The issues are a bit wider than that.
Out of order. It is not preventing a minor injury, it is protecting my stunningly handsome face. My face is aesthetically pleasing...at least to me it is! The front of my helmet is covered in very deep scratches. Where would my face be now if it wasn't for my helmet....... all over the roads of the Lincolnshire Wolds
I:reading:iI have no idea how the paper man got there. How do I get rid of him?

Last edited:

Wobblers

Euthermic
What evidence. I have clearly supplied evidence. It is beyond doubt that wearing a helmet reduces injuries. The evidence for reducing fatalities maybe up for debate. But suggesting it doesn't reduce injuries is just ludicrous. Happy to hear your evidence that they don't reduce injuries. Surprise me and supply it.

You've supplied ancedotes. That is not evidence. The plural of ancedote is not "data". You could have examined the actual published medical evidence: Goldacre (of Bad Science fame) provides an excellent summary of the actual data, the summary of which is that there is no good data to support the idea that helmet wearing reduces injury.

Up to the last sentence I used to agree but sliding along ground on my face was touch painful. I tried a standard helmet but gave up until I spotted one I liked. Multi purpose protects side of your head unlike standard ones. Useful as I know someone who came of there bike and hit the kerb. There was enough of gap to put him in coma for months.

And here is another issue. Two in fact. The first being that most helmets are exceedingly limited in what they protect: the conventional design will not protect the face: full face helmets are not popular even in mtbing.

The other issue is that to induce severe brain injury requires on average 10 times as much energy than a helmet rated to EN1072 will provide. (Snell rated helmets are a little better, but not significantly). It therefore is highly unlikely that wearing a helmet would have changed the outcome for your coma victim. Thank you for at least removing the unnecessarily nasty last line.

ETA: @JoeyB, the Goldacre editorial I've linked to above is a very good place to start for a short but lucid review of the available evidence.

brand

Well that's that cleared up for good.
Could you pop over to Society, Culture & Politics now, there's a few threads there needing the same decisive input.

GC
As expected and as per usual selective quoting. Which party are you spokesman for? Selective quating is often called lies. I prefer to think that as usual you have accidentally removed some of my post.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Out of order. It is not preventing a minor injury, it is protecting my stunningly handsome face. My face is aesthetically pleasing...at least to me it is! The front of my helmet is covered in very deep scratches. Where would my face be now if it wasn't for my helmet....... all over the roads of the Lincolnshire Wolds
I presume said helmet has now been binned, yeah?

Wobblers

Euthermic

The plural of ancedote is not "data".

brand

Where do I say I wear a full face helmet? I don't. I have come off without a helmet and needed 30 stitches in various parts of my face. Now when I come off and slide along the floor I get a graze on the end of my nose. Granted the helmet doesn't protect my legs arms etc. But it does protect my aesthetically pleasing face. The scratches on my helmet prove this beyond a doubt!

brand

You've supplied ancedotes. That is not evidence. The plural of ancedote is not "data". You could have examined the actual published medical evidence: Goldacre (of Bad Science fame) provides an excellent summary of the actual data, the summary of which is that there is no good data to support the idea that helmet wearing reduces injury.

And here is another issue. Two in fact. The first being that most helmets are exceedingly limited in what they protect: the conventional design will not protect the face: full face helmets are not popular even in mtbing.

The other issue is that to induce severe brain injury requires on average 10 times as much energy than a helmet rated to EN1072 will provide. (Snell rated helmets are a little better, but not significantly). It therefore is highly unlikely that wearing a helmet would have changed the outcome for your coma victim. Thank you for at least removing the unnecessarily nasty last line.

ETA: @JoeyB, the Goldacre editorial I've linked to above is a very good place to start for a short but lucid review of the available evidence.
I don't wear a full face helmet where have said that? It does protect my face.I have NOT needed stitches for years other thsn knees and elbow.
My coma victim was wearing a helmet. He fell sideways but normal cycling helmets don't come down far enough protect your head. Moreover a large amount of cyclist seem to be wearing helmets that are to small for them.
PS he owns 12 motorbikes and always wears an helmet. One that fits properly.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I don't wear a full face helmet where have said that? It does protect my face.I have needed stitches for years other knees and elbow.
My coma victim was wearing a helmet. He fell sideways but normal cycling helmets don't come down far enough protect your head. Moreover a large amount of cyclist seem to be wearing helmets that are to small for them.
PS he owns 12 motorbikes and always wears an helmet. One that fits properly.

How far down does your helmet come at the sides?

GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom