Can someone help me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unfortunate that you was going in the same direction as the van after he had passed, he evidently had been stewing and decided to make an impression when you passed him.

I would definitely take it to the rozzers. From the video I wouldn't fault your riding position in front of the van, and for that matter the car in front/ traffic lights where holding you up as much as anything, it wasn't as if he could go anywhere had he passed you sooner!!. If you had been a car you wouldn't have been moving much quicker, closer to the guy in front maybe but thats about it.

The bloke is most certainly I pay road tax to be here you don't type.

Edit it is ok peeps saying it isn't worth taking this matter further, BUT playing devils advocate, if both parties ride/ drive in the area often and a similar incident occurs then the driver (from his tone) could quite easily decide you need a sterner lesson having told you once.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Other than his abusive behaviour at the end, I cant see anything wrong in that video. I'd question why you were riding in primary at such a slow speed, especially if he was revving behind you as you say (I cannot hear it in the video though), it would have been in your own interest to just concede and let him past. I understand you have a right to be there, but there comes a point where you have to make a decision, exercise your rights, just because you have the right to, or concede and avoid a further conflict. The latter would have likely resulted in less long term grief.

Also he didnt stalk the OP, at least its certainly not evident in that video, it seems to me that the OP just happened to turn down the same street that the van had gone down and the driver decided to act like a cock.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I have watched this a few times and I agree with Robert here. The the speeds you were riding Primary was the wrong place to be. Also the video gives the impression (rightly or wrongly) that you gave chase.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Edit it is ok peeps saying it isn't worth taking this matter further, BUT playing devils advocate, if both parties ride/ drive in the area often and a similar incident occurs then the driver (from his tone) could quite easily decide you need a sterner lesson having told you once.

Or of course the reverse and you could lay in wait and D lock the tosser next time :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have watched this a few times and I agree with Robert here. The the speeds you were riding Primary was the wrong place to be. Also the video gives the impression (rightly or wrongly) that you gave chase.

With all of the incidents the OP has been posting recently and the nature of his blog, that wouldnt surprise me, looks like someone out looking for "incidents" and a reason to rant and rave to me.

Trickydicky

Why were u following him?

Rob/ Angel, I am new to cycling, especially road cycling after a 25 year lay off so please don't think I am trying to wind you up, serious question, Could you please explain to me why the op shouldn't be riding where he is prior to the van overtaking? From the video he appears to be on fairly narrow roads in town with parked cars either side, to pull over into the marked parking areas would invite the overtake when he (the op) would then have to pull back out to go round the next parked vehicle. I am unsure from the video as to wether he is unsighted to the frequency of the parked vehicles after the traffic lights,

Edit: when he first mentions the revving engine then yeh I agree he could probably have pulled over, between the last parked car and the traffic lights, but in all honesty with the light at red I am not sure I would have.

Surely to chase after the vehicle would be pointless as if the guy hadn't parked up he wouldn't have stood a hope of catching him, wether the op made any gestures of camera to provoke the guy crossing the road and accosting him is of course unknown. It is interesting that at the start of the vid you hear the OP reading out the reg plate of the car in front, does that mean he was expecting something similar from that quarter?

Tbh I think the driver of the van is peeved that the op didn't let him pull out of the junction when they where waiting at the traffic lights at the beginning of the clip.

Thomk

Guru
I think the OP upset him from the very start by blocking his exit from the T junction just before the lights. I may have given way to him there out of courtesy.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Rob/ Angel, I am new to cycling, especially road cycling after a 25 year lay off so please don't think I am trying to wind you up, serious question, Could you please explain to me why the op shouldn't be riding where he is prior to the van overtaking? From the video he appears to be on fairly narrow roads in town with parked cars either side, to pull over into the marked parking areas would invite the overtake when he (the op) would then have to pull back out to go round the next parked vehicle. I am unsure from the video as to wether he is unsighted to the frequency of the parked vehicles after the traffic lights, when he first mentions the revving engine then yeh I agree he could have pulled over.

Surely to chase after the vehicle would be pointless as if the guy hadn't parked up he wouldn't have stood a hope of catching him, wether the op made any gestures of camera to provoke the guy crossing the road and accosting him is of course unknown. It is interesting that at the start of the vid you hear the OP reading out the reg plate of the car in front, does that mean he was expecting something similar from that quarter?

Videos such as this make it very hard to ascertain the cyclists position but based upon his relative position to the Silver car where he appears to be holding a line that would put him in the middle of the vehicle he could have held secondary and still ridden safely.

Riding in primary is a defencive position but also requires the rider to be able to maintain a respectable road speed. From the video it appears the the OP was riding rather too slowly.

Also as he was aware of the vehicle behind him he "could" have used one of the gaps in the parked cars to allow the van to pass.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Rob/ Angel, I am new to cycling, especially road cycling after a 25 year lay off so please don't think I am trying to wind you up, serious question, Could you please explain to me why the op shouldn't be riding where he is prior to the van overtaking? From the video he appears to be on fairly narrow roads in town with parked cars either side, to pull over into the marked parking areas would invite the overtake when he (the op) would then have to pull back out to go round the next parked vehicle. I am unsure from the video as to wether he is unsighted to the frequency of the parked vehicles after the traffic lights,

Edit: when he first mentions the revving engine then yeh I agree he could probably have pulled over, between the last parked car and the traffic lights, but in all honesty with the light at red I am not sure I would have.

Tbh I think the driver of the van is peeved that the op didn't let him pull out of the junction when they where waiting at the traffic lights at the beginning of the clip.

In short, the OP had every right to ride in primary, BUT.... he also had plenty of oppertunity to reduce the tension between himself and the aggressive driver should he have wished too. He could have let the driver through, give him a nod and waved him through (it may or may not have helped, I made a mistake on sunday and tried to apologise with a hand gesture, the driver didnt respond how I had hoped, but in general it goes down well). He is not obligated to do so, but one would typically like to avoid conflict where possible and the OP clearly wasnt in much of a rush given his speed so letting the driver through wouldnt have been much of an inconvenience!

I would have just let the van out at that 1st set of lights, it would have been a
conscientious decision, knowing that I would be holding him up in the coming section of road.

Plenty people chase after people in vehicles and catch up to them at the next set of lights etc to have a go.

Thomk

Guru
It's a very interesting video though. It gives a telling insight into how a certain cycling style can be perceived by a slightly stupid driver (that's most of us isn't it? We are after all just a bunch of mammals). This chap was convinced that the OP was taking the p*** and this perception is probably very common.

Top Bottom