Can someone help me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Can't excuse the van driver's aggressive behaviour, but I feel the incident could've been avoided if you'd (a) let him out at the junction, as I would have or (b) moved into secondary to allow him to pass. FWIW it looks as if he'd parked up, then spotted you and decided to have a go, rather than stopping just to shout at you.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Can't excuse the van driver's aggressive behaviour, but I feel the incident could've been avoided if you'd (a) let him out at the junction, as I would have or (b) moved into secondary to allow him to pass. FWIW it looks as if he'd parked up, then spotted you and decided to have a go, rather than stopping just to shout at you.

He was already stopped when the OP turned onto that street, so I think thats a safe assumption to make.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am still puzzled as to why the OP read out the index plate of car at the lights?

People tend to do that with helmet cams so that if the camera doesnt pick it up well they can still get the detail. But not for every random car, only in the event of something out of the ordinary happening

I would have just let the van out at that 1st set of lights, it would have been a
conscientious decision, knowing that I would be holding him up in the coming section of road.

Thanks, Coming from being a heavy car user I will give greater thought to treating cars how I wish cyclists had treated me when I was driving (though it seemed to be infrequent) without compromising my own position. I suppose you would equate it to 'christian' motoring.

can i say that in this situation, i would have leant my bike against the wall on the path and explained why i was riding the way i was, he may not have realised any potholes, car doors and the like that you did.

you never know, the guy may just have listened. he did make some sense when he said that if it was he who was cutting you up, he would have got plenty of shoot!

why not try calling the company and having a chat with guy and the help of hindsight, he may of calmed down by now.

I am not sure that it is a matter for the police anyway.

it did seem to me that you were riding quite wide, centrally up a two lane, one way road.

apollo179

In short, the OP had every right to ride in primary, BUT.... he also had plenty of oppertunity to reduce the tension between himself and the aggressive driver should he have wished too. He could have let the driver through, give him a nod and waved him through (it may or may not have helped, I made a mistake on sunday and tried to apologise with a hand gesture, the driver didnt respond how I had hoped, but in general it goes down well). He is not obligated to do so, but one would typically like to avoid conflict where possible and the OP clearly wasnt in much of a rush given his speed so letting the driver through wouldnt have been much of an inconvenience!

I would have just let the van out at that 1st set of lights, it would have been a
conscientious decision, knowing that I would be holding him up in the coming section of road.

+1
Cyclists should cycle showing the same courtesy and consideration to motorists that they would like to be reciprocated to them.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
can i say that in this situation, i would have leant my bike against the wall on the path and explained why i was riding the way i was, he may not have realised any potholes, car doors and the like that you did.

you never know, the guy may just have listened. he did make some sense when he said that if it was he who was cutting you up, he would have got plenty of shoot!

why not try calling the company and having a chat with guy and the help of hindsight, he may of calmed down by now.

I am not sure that it is a matter for the police anyway.

it did seem to me that you were riding quite wide, centrally up a two lane, one way road.

-1 The guy was spoiling for a fight and anything that he could have construed as an argument would have made matters worse.

Now if the OP were 6'6" an MMA champ and built like the proverbial outhouse then maybe the driver wouldn't have said anything in the first place :laugh:

It's fairly difficult to tell anything from these video cams but you handled it very well Mathew, better than I would have if he started mouthing to me. Personally I'd have let him pass if I heard him revving and that's not a question of intimidation it's one of getting on with life. In the same way I doubt the Police would react to it, however a reasoned letter to the company, explaining why you were riding as you were might be of a lot more benefit. It may well be him, he may not agree but he will at least understand and maybe not react the same way next time.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Edit: when he first mentions the revving engine then yeh I agree he could probably have pulled over, between the last parked car and the traffic lights, but in all honesty with the light at red I am not sure I would have.

Surely to chase after the vehicle would be pointless as if the guy hadn't parked up he wouldn't have stood a hope of catching him, wether the op made any gestures of camera to provoke the guy crossing the road and accosting him is of course unknown. It is interesting that at the start of the vid you hear the OP reading out the reg plate of the car in front, does that mean he was expecting something similar from that quarter?

Tbh I think the driver of the van is peeved that the op didn't let him pull out of the junction when they where waiting at the traffic lights at the beginning of the clip.

1. Yes, I could have possibly moved over after the parked car but I saw the red light in front and decided against it. I remained in primary for so long because there are always a lot of cars parked along there.
  2. At the lights, I read out the reg plate of the car in front because they were simply abusing the ASL. At that point I was more concerned on that car, other than the van.
  3. The van driver had not pulled out of the junction, I felt that he was not out enough to be cut up. I had right of way on that road, and he had not pulled out enough to cause an obstruction to me.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
  1. Yes, I could have possibly moved over after the parked car but I saw the red light in front and decided against it. I remained in primary for so long because there are always a lot of cars parked along there.
  2. At the lights, I read out the reg plate of the car in front because they were simply abusing the ASL. At that point I was more concerned on that car, other than the van.
  3. The van driver had not pulled out of the junction, I felt that he was not out enough to be cut up. I had right of way on that road, and he had not pulled out enough to cause an obstruction to me.

You had priority, you could have waived it with the prior knowledge of the area. You choose otherwise.

lukesdad

Pretty inconclusive IMO looks like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other to me. How any one would want to report that to anybody is beyond me.

Top Bottom