Can too much Cycling take over your life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I have a book I received for Christmas quite some years ago. It's titled "The CTC book of cycle touring" by Les Woodland. First published 1995, although reading it now you might think it was longer ago. Mostly out of date now of course. But as a sort of philosophy of cycling (if there even is such a thing) I personally prefer it to Strava

I re read it from time to time - it reminds me of what I really enjoy about cycling.

Although I am on Strava it is only to record rides and miles.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've had a few days off from cycling now and got some early nights in and feel a hell of a lot better. Today the cycling itch got the better of me again and went out for a 30 mile ride , but this time with no Strava and no intentions of tearing round like a scalded cat. I must admit it was still in my "mind set " to slog my way up hills as fast I could, but I resisted it and made sure it was all about quality and not quantity in my ride. Back home now and its the first time in weeks I can honestly say ,it was one of the best and most enjoyable rides I've had for ages. Strava is a great tool ,but I don't think its for everybody. I personally don't think its right for me because I can easily get to hung up on being to competitive with it, and feel that it spoils my whole reason for cycling which is ultimately to unwind and see the world around me. Sadly my weak mindset easily gets detracted from this when using Strava, and end up overdoing things by trying to "keeping up with the Jones"
I've often said before in the past on here ,that cycling offers so many different angles to us all. From Mountain bikers / roadies / commuters or to just having the occasional pootle around the local park with the kids, it can offer so many different reasons for us to get out there. It's just finding what is best for you at the end of the day that really matters.
All the best to all and many thanks for taking the time to post your views. It's been really interesting reading them and as always puts me back on the right path, to continue enjoying my cycling adventures :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
I've had a few days off from cycling now and got some early nights in and feel a hell of a lot better. Today the cycling itch got the better of me again and went out for a 30 mile ride , but this time with no Strava and no intentions of tearing round like a scalded cat. I must admit it was still in my "mind set " to slog my way up hills as fast I could, but I resisted it and made sure it was all about quality and not quantity in my ride. Back home now and its the first time in weeks I can honestly say ,it was one of the best and most enjoyable rides I've had for ages. Strava is a great tool ,but I don't think its for everybody. I personally don't think its right for me because I can easily get to hung up on being to competitive with it, and feel that it spoils my whole reason for cycling which is ultimately to unwind and see the world around me. Sadly my weak mindset easily gets detracted from this when using Strava, and end up overdoing things by trying to "keeping up with the Jones"
I've often said before in the past on here ,that cycling offers so many different angles to us all. From Mountain bikers / roadies / commuters or to just having the occasional pootle around the local park with the kids, it can offer so many different reasons for us to get out there. It's just finding what is best for you at the end of the day that really matters.
All the best to all and many thanks for taking the time to post your views. It's been really interesting reading them and as always puts me back on the right path, to continue enjoying my cycling adventures :-)
You need to get one of these
New TT Bike.jpg

It sounds like you’re fatigued to me . If you lay off the cycling for a few days, let your body recover, I reckon you’ll be fine. If you’ve got any concerns, go and get checked out by a medical professional.

Top Bottom