Can too much Cycling take over your life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think it was @jayonabike who told me that once he was out riding when another cyclists tried to get by shouting 'STRAVA STRAVA STRAVA'

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well i finally reached saturation point on the amount of bikes i have ^_^

So i need to off load a few and then not go out and buy replacements till a few more have gone

si_c

Guru
Strava serves a purpose for me, I use it to keep track of all my miles, calorie burn and set myself goals, like cycle 800 miles in May. When I first started using it I was quite competitive and tried to get PRs and KOMs, but after a little while I realised I was decidedly mid-pack. Now I'm pleasantly surprised when I set a PR, especially on the commute.

I also quite like seeing the routes that others take and getting ideas for rides. As with anything, there is nothing wrong with the tool, but rather the obsession with which people use it.

bpsmith

Veteran
Strava isn’t for everyone it seems. Addiction and any good, of any nature.

Some people like to chill when cycling. Others like to get a full on workout. Most people either fall in the middle somewhere, or mix up the two when it suits.

What I can’t understand is when people have a pop at those who do like it. Never heard anyway have a pop about someone not using it though.

Live and let live is my opinion. As long as we all continue to enjoy the same pastime. :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
While I didn't feel i was physically overdoing it at my peak about 5 or 8 years ago in my early to mid 50s, I was hammering myself to up average speed, extend mileages and generally get out every chance I could.
Then all of a sudden I started to bawlk at the idea of it all, hours on a ride (most I did was an 80 mile ride but usually 50 or 60 miles) and push push pushing.
I'd overdone it but not physically..i just lost the desire to leather myself, something I'd formerly loved.
It was very liberating, all of a sudden, I was enjoying it all again but at a steady sensible pace.
Teetering on 60 now and still push myself getting back fitness lost to illness but at the same time, accepting I will never get to the speeds I could at my peak.

pjd57

Veteran
Strava should be useful , and a bit of fun.

When it isn't , get rid of it.

Serge

Über Member
Strava should be useful , and a bit of fun.

When it isn't , get rid of it.
It's a very strange thing Strava. I only downloaded it a couple of weeks ago but it's already changed the way I ride.

There are a couple of segments on my commute that I keep telling myself I'm not going to try to beat but I find I can't help myself.

I promised myself a couple of days ago that I was going to have a gentle ride into work, I got near the start of the segment and went nuts trying to go as quick as possible. By the time I got to work I could hardly stand and my throat was so sore I could hardly swallow.

Still, I got a PB!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's a very strange thing Strava. I only downloaded it a couple of weeks ago but it's already changed the way I ride.

That's why I don't intend to have anything to do with Strava. I like to go at a comfortable pace and I don't see how knowing that other cyclists can go from A to B in X time, is in any way beneficial to me. Putting in short bursts of hard effort to get up gradients is enough "workout" for me thanks very much, for the rest of the time in the saddle I am not aiming to be riding so hard I am gasping for breath! It really doesn't bother me that, in cycling terms, I am not a particularly fast rider. I have no interest in adopting uncomfortable "aero" riding positions with my bum sticking up in the air and suffering poor visibility in traffic, or running a fragile, theft-magnet, super-light CF bike on flimsy tyres, having no mudguards etc, just to shave off a few seconds here and there. The idea of any activity in life is that you control it, not allow it to control you, and in some cases Strava clearly has that effect. I also wonder when I see some lycra-clad roadie tearing about cycling in an illegal/dangerous/inconsiderate manner, whether the reason for their aggressive antics and RLJ'ing etc is because they are trying to beat the clock, and achieve a faster time on Strava.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's why I don't intend to have anything to do with Strava. I like to go at a comfortable pace and I don't see how knowing that other cyclists can go from A to B in X time, is in any way beneficial to me. Putting in short bursts of hard effort to get up gradients is enough "workout" for me thanks very much, for the rest of the time in the saddle I am not aiming to be riding so hard I am gasping for breath! It really doesn't bother me that, in cycling terms, I am not a particularly fast rider. I have no interest in adopting uncomfortable "aero" riding positions with my bum sticking up in the air and suffering poor visibility in traffic, or running a fragile, theft-magnet, super-light CF bike on flimsy tyres, having no mudguards etc, just to shave off a few seconds here and there. The idea of any activity in life is that you control it, not allow it to control you, and in some cases Strava clearly has that effect. I also wonder when I see some lycra-clad roadie tearing about cycling in an illegal/dangerous/inconsiderate manner, whether the reason for their aggressive antics and RLJ'ing etc is because they are trying to beat the clock, and achieve a faster time on Strava.
That last part is one hell of a generalisation, and I don't use strava.
Have you never been late and had to walk a bit faster than you would normally, been forced to take a longer way round?

Leeds is just over an hour away, Normanton, on my first run 1h 34m, Irlam just over two hours, Liverpool three hours. I ride for fun, not to set any records. But I've found myself giving times to places rather than distances.

Which of us on here can hold their hand up and say that they've never tried to set a speed indicator off?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Which of us on here can hold their hand up and say that they've never tried to set a speed indicator off?

Me too. When I was young enough and silly enough to try and tear around, there were no such things as speed indicators. Given that a cyclist has absolutely no protection from whatever they hit if they come off, I regard riding a bike fast enough to set these things off as pretty stupid behaviour, TBH. It's all very well bombing down a descent @35-40 mph on a bike, after having slogged your guts out to get up the hill, but if you have a tyre suddenly blow out doing that speed, someone or something comes out of a side entrance, or you hit a slippery spillage on the road surface, you are going to have a very serious, and possibly fatal, accident.

Top Bottom