Can using a zero off set seat post help me get a better fit for my frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saltash_sketchy

I recently had a bike fit only to find that my bike was slightly to big for me. I was advised to to shorten the stem by 10mm, which has really helped the feel on the bike. I did not want to shorten the stem any further as it will affect the handling. I have a seat post which has a 25mm off set. If I replace this with a zero offset post, in theory this would correct the fit.

Would this be the case? And if so are there any other side effects with doing this?
Your advice is greatly appreciated and when I can I will get a bike that fits better!

Thanks

huwsparky

Über Member
No, it wouldn't correct the fit as your saddle fore and aft would be 25mm different meaning you could be in a worse position in regards to power transfer through the pedals.

You say you don't want to go any shorter on your stem. How long is it?

S-Express

As above, if you've had a bike fit, then (hopefully) one of the fitter's first jobs will have been to establish your saddle position in relation to the BB. Changing this kind of renders the whole 'bike fit' thing (which presumably you paid for) a bit pointless.

Also worth pointing out that there's very little, generally speaking, which can be done to compensate for a frame that is too big. Other than change it for a smaller one.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If your saddle is as far forward as it will go then a zero offset will move it forward a bit more, rule of thumb was that with your elbow on the 'nose' of the saddle your first knuckle on that hand should just 'brush' the back of the stem.

OP
OP
S

Saltash_sketchy

No, it wouldn't correct the fit as your saddle fore and aft would be 25mm different meaning you could be in a worse position in regards to power transfer through the pedals.

You say you don't want to go any shorter on your stem. How long is it?

Thanks guys, just been obsessively thinking about this for a couple of days.

im on a 90mm stem now Huwsparky.

Yea I didnt think it would work and the bike fit has made it fit the best it can. I am able to go on long rides without issue, so will just have to wait until it's new bike time

Last edited by a moderator:

jessand

Veteran
Try a shorter stem (I assume that was the bike fitters advice?) and ignore the myth perpetuated on cycling forums that the handling will become 'twitchy' or some such nonsense. Many women's bikes come with a 60mm stem, my wife's Cannondale included, a number of my group ride with 80mm. The steering may feel a bit different but after a few miles you will adjust to it and it becomes 'normal'. As others have said, don't move the saddle when it has been put in the optimum position. Good luck with your set up.

If your post is offset and your knees were still not in the correct position even with the saddle positioned fully forward then an inline post could be the answer. If you got one, after a recommendation by the fitter, you should get at least a reduced price fit with the new post.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'd leave the setup alone and see how you get on it with for a while before altering anything.

I originally wanted a 43cm size of my bike when I bought it but they were out of stock and so I settled for the 48cm version.
3 or 4 years of constant expense through changing the stem length from 90mm to 50mm to 120mm to 135mm with flat bars, inline seatpost with and without suspension, fore and aft saddle rail positioning and the bike is now back to its original factory delivery state with a 90mm stem, offset standard seatpost and the saddle as far back as it'll go.
It's perfectly fine.
You might find you just get used to it.

S-Express

You might find you just get used to it.

'Getting used' to a unsatisfactory position is not ok.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As someone who "got used to it", I'd disagree.
If the bike was way to big then fair enough, but the op did say it was only slightly too big. Not the end of the world unless one is a pro peloton racer.

S-Express

As someone who "got used to it", I'd disagree.
If the bike was way to big then fair enough, but the op did say it was only slightly too big. Not the end of the world unless one is a pro peloton racer.

If you have the wrong fit on a bike, then it is still the wrong fit, regardless of your riding level and regardless of whether you are used to it or not.

If you had the wrong size shoes, should I simply tell you to 'get used to them'..??

S-Express

No but shoes, unless tailor made will not fit perfectly off the shelf for most people and are not adjustable.
A bike (within reason) is adjustable.

Of course it is - and that is exactly what is being talked about on this topic. However, as I said earlier, there are limits in terms of how much you can compensate for a frame which is too big, as opposed to one which is too small. Simply telling someone to 'get used to it' is not helpful.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I didn't tell anyone to get to used it.
I said the op MIGHT get used to the slightly too big bike.
Few people find a new saddle immediately comfortable from the off. Over time, many simply get used to their chosen perch. Often taking many hundreds of miles to do so. Think Brooks.

S-Express

Few people find a new saddle immediately comfortable from the off. Over time, many simply get used to their chosen perch. Often taking many hundreds of miles to do so. Think Brooks.

Brooks is not a good analogy. Those saddles adapt their shape to that of the user over time. Something a poorly fitting bike will not do.

Top Bottom