Can vee brakes replace cantilevers without changing levers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
I have replaced old cantilevers on MTBs with vee brakes and have read that you can not fit vee brakes to a road bike because of the pull ratio?

Now does it really not work? I have an old Galaxy i bought a few weeks ago and fitted bar top levers and the cantilevers work better with the bar top levers but with the original levers (still fitted) they are not the best could i just change the cantilevers to vee brakes?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, but...

The pull ratios are different, so it takes meticulous setting up to make them work properly. Even then they may feel a bit weak or mushy. I've done it successfully on one bike, and they never felt quite right on another.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 5256322, member: 45"]Yes they do, but as Drago says they take more pull on the levers. I fitted them to a cross bike once and they worked to a fashion but you could pull the levers right back to the bars.[/QUOTE]
That doesn't sound great. Was thinking of trying them myself on my Galaxy but managed to get the cantilevers working well after all.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Thanks for the advice and help guys, seems like its either leave them alone (not some thing i would do) get rid of the bike ( not without trying to solve the problem ) fit vee brakes with problem solvers or go for mini vee brakes?

After a bit of time on ebay bought a set (front and back) of mini vee brakes complete with blocks for £12 delivered, only paid for them a few moments ago so i will fit them when they are delivered and post a few pictures of before and after along with my views on the mini vee brakes, thanks again and have a great weekend everyone.

Attachments

• Tulips.jpg
    Tulips.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 60
I'm a bit late for this I'm afraid as you've pushed the button.

Nevertheless, the attached link will show that there are a multitude of lengths of vee to mini vee brakes, not sure how many are available now.
I recently fitted new Tektro 926 AL's to my 9 speed Sora STI lever equipped Hewitt tourer, it had Tektro cantis on, 720's and they were c@rp. The 926's have transformed the braking performance, I could skid the rear if I wanted to. I used an adjustable noodle on the front as the adjuster was previously on the front hanger, which of course is no longer in the system. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/tektro-91712-v-brake-lead-pipe-with-adjuster-90-deg/

There mudguard clearance was reduced considerably and I had to "thermally adjust" the front guard, which is a bit inelegant now. I wish I'd gone for 90mm Vees rather than 80mm, but I would have lost out on braking effort and possibly the amount of pad wear tha can be accommodated by the adjusters.

https://www.gravelbike.com/v-brake-arm-lengths/

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I have replaced old cantilevers on MTBs with vee brakes and have read that you can not fit vee brakes to a road bike because of the pull ratio?

Now does it really not work? I have an old Galaxy i bought a few weeks ago and fitted bar top levers and the cantilevers work better with the bar top levers but with the original levers (still fitted) they are not the best could i just change the cantilevers to vee brakes?
Ahem! ;)
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/improving-touring-bike-brakes-cantis-to-mini-v-conversion.205631/

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ah, that's the thread I was thinking of but couldn't remember who posted it.

iluvmybike

Über Member
There were some integrated shift/brake levers which had a little slot in them which you could change from canti to v for just this situation. If you happen to have those...

Phil may

I fitted the travel agents. This meant ihad a huge range of full sized v brakes I could use. I currently use avid sd5 with tiagra sti shifters

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Quick update, Vee brakes arrived today so fitted them, took some before and after pictures, total cost apox £14 with inline adjusters , there may be a way of using the old adjusters but i had already ordered inline adjusters.

As others have said great upgrade and i can recommend it, the brakes on the old Galaxy where not great and thats an understatement, now they are really great and its almost to easy to lock up the back wheel, if any one whats to change from cantilevers to mini vees just give yourself lots of time.

Easy enough but i ended up changing the inner brake cables and if i had not used inline adjusters may have had to change outers and that would mean new bar tape.

Still have to shorten new inner cables and remove old front adjuster but have tested the brakes and they are a great improvement on the Deore cantilevers.

Attachments

• 100_8692[1].JPG
    100_8692[1].JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_8693[1].JPG
    100_8693[1].JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_8694[1].JPG
    100_8694[1].JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_8695[1].JPG
    100_8695[1].JPG