Can we have a bad motorist, wagon driver, bus driver, cyclist thread ongoing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I went for a 30 mile ride this morning and every car that passed gave plenty of room.
I didnt shout abuse at anyone and no one shouted any at me, then again i choose to cycle early morning in gods counrty, through the best lanes in the north with proper friendly folk , and not main roads mid afternoon.

D

Deleted member 20519

I dont really understand your point here Jazloc,

which section?...a new "groan" section or the existing commuting one? if its the latter then I've made my point about this issue up thread already.Actually if its the forma I've also made this point.

Confused

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

"The CC site is a resource for those who enjoy cycling and as such it attracts new members (and potential new riders) every day. If the first thing potential new riders see is a dedicated thread that only points out all the bad things associated with riding, it'll put a lot off."

Wouldn't it be worse to have a section (commuting) filled with these near miss posts that put people off commuting as opposed to just a single thread?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

"The CC site is a resource for those who enjoy cycling and as such it attracts new members (and potential new riders) every day. If the first thing potential new riders see is a dedicated thread that only points out all the bad things associated with riding, it'll put a lot off."

Wouldn't it be worse to have a section (commuting) filled with these near miss posts that put people off commuting as opposed to just a single thread?
I get you. Well no, that's my point. Commuting isn't full of bad news, all the time.

sometimes its full of great stories and really informative stuff.

whereas if we made a sticky of bad news it would be there for ever, regardless of how the commuting thread looks at any particular time. Better I think, to let the tread reflect the moment.

Bad news stickys are a bad idea.

D

Deleted member 20519

I get you. Well no, that's my point. Commuting isn't full of bad news, all the time.

sometimes its full of great stories and really informative stuff.

whereas if we made a sticky of bad news it would be there for ever, regardless of how the commuting thread looks at any particular time. Better I think, to let the tread reflect the moment.

Bad news stickys are a bad idea.

Well lets see... this is what's on Page 1 of Commuting.

Reporting drivers who are using their phone.
Statement template if you get hit.
Two way camera in case you get into a crash.
Audi driver and cyclist clash.
Hit my first pedestrian.
Thread about people who dislike cyclists.
Should cyclists be allowed on A roads at night.

For one page, that sure seems like a lot of negative things that aren't related with commuting...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jazloc, your missing my point entirely.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there aren't bad news stories on commuting. Perhaps read some of the replies that I've already made on this thread...I've addressed your point twice now.

However, last week there were lots of threads in commuting's front page about tyres and punctures. The week before about riding in the wet and a month or so ago there were plenty of posts celebrating the joys of riding around in the sun with tons of summer riders all enjoying the Olympic events.

If we took today's snapshot and froze it on the front page, then we would kill off the opportunity for the site to reflect the changes in attitudes, weather, seasons and cycling.
Like I say the only fair way to do it would to add some ying to that yang and create an opposing thread.

you see

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Oh it is ,they should rename it "Car Haters United" , i read it a few times and then made myself promise never to look into the pit of self depression ever again.

Conversely, it was my inspiration to take up commuting by bike.

Perhaps, the few times you read it, it was full of bad news as it is right now...at this moment

and this is my point.

when I joined it wasn't... so sometimes it is and sometimes its not

But if there were a sticky that sat there for all eternity reminding me of how bad everything is (despite the bad being a tiny proportion of reality) then perhaps I wouldn't be typing this now.

I wrote the guide that sits at the top of the thread as a thank you to the help that I gained from that very section, it was an amalgamation of thoughts and lessons that I'd taken a year or two to learn...from the section

There was time when I only ever posted in commuting as it was a section that I found so helpful. So clearly it cant always reflect bad news...clearly sometimes its an inspiration

D

Deleted member 20519

Jazloc, your missing my point entirely.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that there aren't bad news stories on commuting. Perhaps read some of the replies that I've already made on this thread...I've addressed your point twice now.

you see

I think I get you now. Sometimes there's bad threads on the front page and other times there isn't, if there was a sticky thread - it would always be there, correct?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Besides, if you really want to argue that point (and I'm not sure why yoiu are arguing over it frankly) what about these
Christmas job
I hope it snows
How fantastic is this riding lark
Which Commuter bike
Lessons learnt on my commute
Take a bike to tescos
Questions for road use
Mark Green's Karaoke
Lights after dark

plenty of positive stuff that actually makes the bad stuff at best...only half the story.

And this is on a bad week.

Now imagine all that headed by a thread along the lines of "how dangerous is commuting by bike". Its totally counter-productive and entirely unrepresentative of the true picture.

Top Bottom