Can we please ban 'my bad'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whilst I'm not fond of all these new words ... what is even worse is when I catch myself about to use them... my kids say "FAIL" all the time, and I've nearly done it myself:eek::wacko:xx(

benb

Evidence based cyclist
There are worse Americanisms to get annoyed about, to wit:

"I could care less" makes my piss boil
"All England goalies are not useless" when they mean "Not all England goalies are useless"

yello

The first time I heard 'my bad' I was actually baffled! I had to hear it a few times before I realised it was actually intentional and merely meant something like 'my mistake'. Likewise, first time I heard 'meh' (Simon Baker on The Mentalist, btw) I thought it was just a noise he made and simply registered a contempt or dismissiveness.

I guess I really ought watch The Simpsons more, or whatever else it is that's required to 'get a life'. xx(

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
yello said:
I guess I really ought watch The Simpsons more, or whatever else it is that's required to 'get a life'. xx(
I think 'get a life' is colourful and worth keeping but I agree that 'I could care less' should be banned, and as for 'OH, MY, GOD!!!'... :wacko:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Your love and pity doth the impression fill
Which vulgar scandal stamp'd upon my brow;
For what care I who calls me well or ill,
So you o'er-green my bad, my good allow?
You are my all the world, and I must strive
To know my shames and praises from your tongue:
None else to me, nor I to none alive,
That my steel'd sense or changes right or wrong.
In so profound abysm I throw all care
Of others' voices, that my adder's sense
To critic and to flatterer stopped are.
Mark how with my neglect I do dispense:
You are so strongly in my purpose bred
That all the world besides methinks are dead.

some english dude

_________

potsy

Rambler
XmisterIS said:
The one that really gets my giddy old billy goat is the use of the word "ask" as a noun - e.g. "It's a big ask" - usually heard being used by management types and humourless football commentators.
Shouldn't that be 'axe';)

Top Bottom