Can we please ban 'my bad'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It occurs to me that being a bit of a numpty, he might have got the phonemes the wrong way round i.e. he meant to say "my" but that was a bit difficult for him so he said "I'm".

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm guilty of this, and as the op points out, it is annoying.

The English getting sniffy about American usage is nothing new. Dickens was very snotty about words such as "seafood" and "dirt road", claiming no one knew what was meant by such outlandish words. You'd have to be pretty dim not to work it out :biggrin:. Likewise with "my bad". It's not one I use, but it's fairly obvious what it means.

yello

Rhythm Thief said:
You'd have to be pretty dim not to work it out :biggrin:. Likewise with "my bad". It's not one I use, but it's fairly obvious what it means.

In fairness, it wasn't immediately obvious to me and I don't class myself as dim. I had to hear it a few times before I realised it was deliberate, a new language form and not just a mistake or non-native speaker construction.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
yello said:
not just a mistake or non-native speaker construction.

It must be confusing for them the slang that our children now regularly use... my daughter's got her aural test today... I'm assuming she doesn't know much German slang to make it more authentic.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Uncle Mort said:
What's wrong with "sorry"?

Surely its two different things

Mark: Mea culpa, Heinrich!

Heinreich: Say sorry then..?

Mark: No

"Everybody": Sits down for a bit

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Uncle Mort said:
"Mea culpa" is an acceptance of fault, which is stronger isn't it? You could compromise on "my mistake" I suppose.

Yeah, but why not shorten it a bit... something like "my bad" should do! :ohmy:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Wiki, who are never wrong :ohmy:, already have 'my bad' as the English translation of mea culpa.

Mea culpa
is a Latin phrase that translates into English as "my bad", or "my own fault". To emphasize the message, the adjective "maxima" may be inserted, resulting in "mea maxima culpa," which would translate as "my most [grievous] fault."

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
threebikesmcginty said:
To emphasize the message, the adjective "maxima" may be inserted, resulting in "mea maxima culpa," which would translate as "my most [grievous] fault."

...or "my BIG bad" :ohmy:

Top Bottom