Can we talk about running?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I GIVE UP! :banghead:

Well, I think its quite obvious that if you stretch an injured muscle/ligament/tendon its going to give you a bit of jip, its like poking a bruise, or picking scabs too early! :P

The extent of the pain you should stretch though however is a different thing altogether.

colinr

At the risk of sounding like one of those crazy types, going barefoot (Vivo Barefoot Neo) has done wonders for pains. Apart from tense calves while I adapted to the forced change of form, they've been great.

fimm

Veteran
Hi, I have been assessed and been told to stretch, stretch, stretch. But every time I do, it hurts, is it normal? This was my question sorry if it wasnt clear :blush:

Let me get this clear. Everytime you stretch, it hurts?
Can you describe the stretches you do? Who told you to do them? Where does it hurt? In the shin splint area, or somewhere else? (Just trying to get a fuller picture.)
I am wondering if you are just stretching a bit too vigorously? You should feel the stretch, but if it hurts, that isn't right.

Pottsy

My two penneth:

You've probably been doing too much too fast, build up slowly.
Try running on softer ground if possible, using parks and generally 'off road'.
Read Chi Running and look at a change of technique to more of a fore or mid-foot landing rather than heel strike.

Best of luck.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Yeah, been on there a couple of years. More so since I got the Garmin. I'm 'Gambatte' on there too. I met a load this year at Thunder Run and got the Fetchie TR24 T shirt organised by 'B-Lass'

timmyeatchips

I got terrible shin splints leading up to the last Great North Run I did, but since I got over them I've had no trouble.

Stretching is very important, but it's a prevention rather than cure. If your legs are already hurting they need a rest. Ease back into it (walking up and down steep hills is good, and there's an exercise you can do whilst sitting where you rotate your feet) and when the pain has gone start running again, increasing your running distances gradually (increasing distances too quickly seems to be a major cause of shinsplints). Always stretch after a run and at the first sign of pain when running, get in an ice bath.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I actually had a doctor tell me running was bad for your joints and I ought to do something different. Then again I'd just read an article about a report saying it was essentially an urban myth. That there'd been what was efffectively one of the longest term trials which showed it.
Also made some comment about it had to be better than what I did a couple of years before, sparking up every half hour - he's regularly seen popping out to do the same. Made me decide to opt for other GPs in the practice.

Not wanting ot open a can of worms you can look at technique. It may not be relevant for you and as previously stated by others there are a large number of reasons for injuries. I have benefited massively from a change in technique to mid/forefoot running. The easiest way I did this was to buy some racing flats. I previously ran badly with a lot of vertical movement and hit the ground hard. Despite very good padded trainers I could only run once or twice a week. More than that, no matter how slowly I built up, I suffered from shin splints and quad fatigue to the point of having to stop running. When i researched technique I found most of the "systems" such as Chi running, Pose, Revolution Running all promoted a mid/forefoot technique. I think the shin splints were from the heavy impact with the ground and the quad pains were due to the effort of pulling my legs underneath me under load. Since changing my technique, building up slowly, I have had no shin or quad problems and can currently run 15 miles+ with none of my previous problems. My average speed is also increasing as you would expect with training and I expect I have a better running efficiency with the reduced vertical motion and faster foot turnover. I haven't gone to the full extent of barefoot running and my current shoe is the most padded version of the Nike Free run. When I originally tried changing my technique I thought I was doing well until I changed to the less padded shoes. You notice much sooner if you are hitting the ground hard. I again needed to reduce my training volume to make sure I didn't cause any injuries through a change of technique (even though I was hardly running before changing as I was still worried about injuries with pending races). I've met another triathlete with a similar story at my club. There are many opposing schools of thought around this, all supported by better qualifies people than me. I don't want to hijack the thread with a shoe discussion but it *may* be worth looking at if you have a poor running technique.

Top Bottom