Can you back me up?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Col,

I was away yesterday so my apologies for only getting back today.

You main point about me stopping the bus pulling into the bus stop by stopping in the bus stop myself, is completely wrong. Watch the video again. You will see that I in fact keep cycling until the bus stops, right at the bus stop (you can see people getting off). I stop at the far end of the bus stop, some 3 or 4 metres ahead of the bus. The only way I obstructed the bus was by being correctly position in my lane!

I decided to have a 'chat' with the bus driver because he pulled along side me (the front of his bus was ahead of me by about a metre at a guess) and whilst in my lane, where I clearly had right of way, he started pulling across forcing me to swerve to my left. Had I not swerved I would have ended up in in very close proximity to the bus and in danger of being knocked over. I certainly did not feign shock horror :blush:. Have you ever had a bus swing at you, it isn't fun.

When I passed this information on to First Glasgow, they agreed with me that the driver was in the wrong and they arranged further training for the driver. I know this is true (and not just a standard letter) as I am about to be helping First Glasgow take part in the Give Cyclists Room campaign as a result of a previous encounter with a bus. (They are taking their time getting this going but it should be soon :rolleyes:)

You don't know me Col (and likelwise I don't know you), but if you did you would find that I am not the type of person to go looking for trouble .For example despite being a black belt in judo and fairly capable in a fight, I have only had one fight in my life when a fellow school pupil put chewing gum in my hair! Likewise with my cycling I don't look for trouble, but I don't have to. I cycle on some busy roads and although the majority of road users are very good some do drive dangerously. When they do I put it in the public domain so we can all learn from it (I post my own mistakes as well see

)

By putting these videos on the web I understand that I open myself up to criticism and I am happy to do this, for what I think is the overall benefit. You are certainly free to have your own opinion, however, on this occasion you are way off the mark.

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Col,

I was away yesterday so my apologies for only getting back today.

No problem:smile:

You main point about me stopping the bus pulling into the bus stop by stopping in the bus stop myself, is completely wrong. Watch the video again. You will see that I in fact keep cycling until the bus stops, right at the bus stop (you can see people getting off). I stop at the far end of the bus stop, some 3 or 4 metres ahead of the bus. The only way I obstructed the bus was by being correctly position in my lane!

You pulled in half way down the bus stop,the position of the bus, as he is loading, shows he couldnt go further as you were there,which made him keep his distance from you in the stop. i still cant see why you wanted a word? the worse part i can see is the bus was next to you as you slowed to ask him what he was doing.,iv watched your vid a lot of times and im afraid unless your saying the bus steered into you ,there is nothing bad here except perhaps the bus was close,but then you did slow to him didnt you. :rolleyes:

I decided to have a 'chat' with the bus driver because he pulled along side me (the front of his bus was ahead of me by about a metre at a guess) and whilst in my lane, where I clearly had right of way, he started pulling across forcing me to swerve to my left. Had I not swerved I would have ended up in in very close proximity to the bus and in danger of being knocked over. I certainly did not feign shock horror :biggrin:. Have you ever had a bus swing at you, it isn't fun.

I noticed as he is coming up next to you,you are actualy positioned near the middle of the lane (seemed a fair amount of room),and only start moving over as you near the bus stop as you slow also.Are you saying he didnt see you? it did seem as if he was waiting for you to move away before he intended pulling in,or why didnt he do what you say he was doing?ie pulling in forcing you off the road.:sad:

When I passed this information on to First Glasgow, they agreed with me that the driver was in the wrong and they arranged further training for the driver. I know this is true (and not just a standard letter) as I am about to be helping First Glasgow take part in the Give Cyclists Room campaign as a result of a previous encounter with a bus. (They are taking their time getting this going but it should be soon :blush:)

All bus companies will investigate any complaint,they are renowned for it,but i can see it now,in this case,when they interview the driver"i dont know why he slowed,if he had just carried on going this wouldnt have happened";)

You don't know me Col (and likelwise I don't know you), but if you did you would find that I am not the type of person to go looking for trouble .For example despite being a black belt in judo and fairly capable in a fight, I have only had one fight in my life when a fellow school pupil put chewing gum in my hair! Likewise with my cycling I don't look for trouble, but I don't have to. I cycle on some busy roads and although the majority of road users are very good some do drive dangerously. When they do I put it in the public domain so we can all learn from it (I post my own mistakes as well see

)

True i dont know you,and likewise,but this still seems to me like a storm in a tea cup,i think the incident was blown out of all proportion ,and with the complaint made ,the driver could suffer a blemish on his file for doing nothing but wait for you to pull away,but you didnt.Now if he had been dangerously driving i would be behind you all the way,but all it looks like to me is the bus is wondering what your going to do next?

By putting these videos on the web I understand that I open myself up to criticism and I am happy to do this, for what I think is the overall benefit. You are certainly free to have your own opinion, however, on this occasion you are way off the mark.

Fair comment,but im afraid i have to dissagree,i see it from a different point of view,im sure you understand that,its not just for the sake of a debate.And i dont think this is trouble,just a difference of opinion in a discussion.
Incidentaly congrats on your earning your first dan in judo,its a hard sport to grade and compete in,i tried it some years ago,as my mate is an instuctor in the north east,my main sport is tae kwon do,which i attained second dan three years ago,but have not had the time lately due to work commitments,hence the renewed cycling bug,to get some weight off and also get fitter, im aiming for my tournament weight of 15 stone,so some way to go yet eh?:ohmy:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
Fair comment,but im afraid i have to dissagree,i see it from a different point of view,im sure you understand that,its not just for the sake of a debate.And i dont think this is trouble,just a difference of opinion in a discussion.

Fair enough, although saying you disagree is one thing, backing it up is another....

Incidentaly congrats on your earning your first dan in judo,its a hard sport to grade and compete in,i tried it some years ago,as my mate is an instuctor in the north east,my main sport is tae kwon do,which i attained second dan three years ago,but have not had the time lately due to work commitments,hence the renewed cycling bug,to get some weight off and also get fitter, im aiming for my tournament weight of 15 stone,so some way to go yet eh?:biggrin:

I'm actually a second Dan and I have all of my competitive points for my third, although I never got around to doing the theory cause I couldn't be bothered :rolleyes:. I generally ignore belts as there are some really bad black belts (as well as there being really good ones of course), and so I stopped grading. Unfortunately a knee injury (plus three operations) stopped me competing. I still get on the mat and have a good rumble, but not as often as I would like :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
No, having watched again, it looks to me like the bus is sitting on the cyclist's right hand side determined to overtake and draws level with the front of the bike at the time it ought to be moving over to the left for the stop. I'd be pretty concerned that it was going to come right across me at that point.

When the bus driver realises that the cyclist is not going to meekly slam on the brakes to let the bus pass, he drops back and pulls in. The bike pulls in well in front of him.

At the speed Magnatom is going, I'd say there was no reason for the bus to even try to overtake, knowing there was a stop imminent.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks Arch for the back up.

Of course I have the advantage of actually having been there and I can categorically confirm that I stopped in front of the bus. I never tell fibs, honest (I need an angel smiley!)

And I thought video was supposed remove any uncertainty!:rolleyes:

col

Legendary Member
At the speed Magnatom is going, I'd say there was no reason for the bus to even try to overtake, knowing there was a stop imminent.

my point exactly;)

Ah, I'm getting the feeling col has caught bonjism - I think, therefore I'm right...

i see your point,but not the case,im wrong more times than im right i think:smile:

Fair enough, although saying you disagree is one thing, backing it up is another....

I saw it differently,and still do,if the majority of people reading this thread agree with you ,then ill hold my hands up and agree to differ:wink
Im not sure how i could back up how iv said i saw the film?could you explain what you mean?:rolleyes:

Arch

Married to Night Train
col said:

my point exactly;)

But the bus patently did try to overtake the bike. Are you speaking a
different language to us or something?:rolleyes:

Actually, the odd capital letter, space and apostrophe would make it easier to read...

So what is your point? That there was no reason for the bus to try and overtake, so it didn't? When we can see on the video that it was pulling level - and therefore was trying to overtake before pulling in? If the bus had done the right thing, it would never have been visible on the right hand side, because it would have been behind the bike all the way...

col

Legendary Member
Sorry my typing isnt perfect ,and it makes it difficult for you to read,but i think you will agree,my english isnt bad as i only learned it in the last three years.:rolleyes:

And perhaps the reason the bus is next to him ,is because he slows up nearing the bus stop;)

I agree it should never have been next to him,but not expecting him to slow nearing the bus stop could have caused that.Also if the bell is pressed to stop at the last second ,just as the bus is starting to pass.There could be a number of possibilities,but purposely trying to knock him off doesnt come across in the video.

Arch

Married to Night Train
col said:
Sorry my typing isnt perfect ,and it makes it difficult for you to read,but i think you will agree,my english isnt bad as i only learned it in the last three years.:blush:

In that case, sorry. I'm willing to bet your English is better than my... well, whatever language you speak as a native...:rolleyes:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm with magnatom and Arch. It looks to me like the bus driver tried a stupid and badly planned overtake, and only got level with magnatom at the bus stop. I'd also be afraid of him pulling across me and forcing me to crash into the pavement.

I posted my thoughts on both videos magnatom, but I have to say, you've gotten off lightly compared to some of the comments I had a few months back when I posted for support!!!!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks for the comments on the videos BentMikey. Yes it wasn't too bad, it just looked a bit one sided. I thought the comments needed some re-balancing!

I missed your call for help. Sorry about that. Anyway it's great to see you over here!:rolleyes:

col

Legendary Member
No apology needed,i was only kidding,its took me nearly 46 years to tork and tipe this gud:smile:sorry;)

And i vote to agree to dissagree eh? what do you say Magnaton,after all,someone on another thread said"lifes too short":smile:never a truer word said;)

Top Bottom