Can you believe this????!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Had a driver toot me because I stopped at a red light. I think he got confused and thought it was a green. No anger when he realised though, just smiles and a hand up.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
buggi said:
Get this... I'm riding my bike home from work, I'm on a roundabout and I'm turning right. As I go round, a guy in a 4x4 pulls up at the give way... I'm already on the roundabout, he's not... he wants to go straight on, but I'm coming around as I'm turning right, so he has to give way.
He only BLASTS his horn at me and gives me the two fingers!!!!

Did you signal?...be honest, if not then his actions were totally understandable, to be honest, I would probably have done the same

If, however you signaled clearly then this guy needs takling to.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
I had a 4x4 following me quite closely.

At an appropriate moment, I waved him past.

We both pulled up at a set of lights and he wound his passenger window down and shouted "Thanks, cyclist".

I leant in his window and said "Nope mate. You're in a ( Sh!t heap ) Toyota and it might not be able to stop".

One more reason for considerate drivers to learn to hate cyclist then.:smile: Did you not stop to think that a smile and a wave of "no worries" may have had an altogether mmore positive (and long term) outcome

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
If someone's on the roundabout then you give way no matter what the indication. There's never an excuse for giving the finger.

Not true BM, how on earth would a RB work if everytime anyone entered it, everybody else stopped untill the other person exited...RB's like the Hangar lane would be gridlock. I would agree that on a mini RB you generally stop if they are occupied (unless the other vehicle is clearly turing left...their left) as there is not enough room to tell from positioning of the cars which direction they are going, but Buggi does not tell us what type of RB he was on.

if you dont signal to let drivers know your intentions on a roundabout, you take your own risks.

That said, we dont know if Buggi did signal...so I'm not jumping to any conlusions here

Unfotunately buggi, I can believe this. You're on a bike, and are thus far, far farther down the food chain than Mr Angrypants, so you shoudl have stopped, held up all other traffic and waved him through, bowing and scraping as you did so due to him allowing you the priviledge of doing him this service!
No, he was a twozzer, probably had a bad day at work and not getting enough, ermm, 'attention' from his othe half, then you happened along and 'instant target'.

6ft woman eh? You aren't brunette are you (nice to have an image :ohmy: ) ?
Browser (6ft 4in-tall bloke).

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
No he's right, the HC clearly states give way to the right - everything else is bad driving.

How can you use Hanger lane as an example when it is controlled by traffic lights?:ohmy:

Ok not hangar lane (poor example, you're right), but any large rb without lights. I dont wait for cars that are travelling straignt on to leave the RB (i would be rear ended pretty smartish if I did this each time I approached a large RB on my bike) before I enter so why would they do that for me.

Regardless of bad driving, it is also bad cycling to go around a roundabout without signalling (especially when turning right), just assuming the other driver will think you are not going straight on is foolhardy.

We are all responsible for making our journeys as safe as possible, we cant simply defer to every other road user and shout "its their fault" when we are as much to blame.

do we know yet if Buggi signalled

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
What does a flashing indicator mean to you jonny?

jonny jeez said:
Regardless of bad driving, it is also bad cycling to go around a roundabout without signalling (especially when turning right), just assuming the other driver will think you are not going straight on is foolhardy.

This is true, although it's worth remembering that if you're signalling on a busy roundabout your hands are a long way from the brakes and bars. But I have to admit that I don't stop my truck for motorists who aren't indicating on roundabouts, not any more.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
What does a flashing indicator mean to you jonny?

it means the indicator is flashing?...what's your point BM

also lee, I meant to add earlier, we cant keep on quoting HC ONLY in our favour, the same HC that you infer lets the non signalling cyclist off the hook also states that..

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want
So if we are going to trade quotes fro HC, thats my offering.

Not having a dig at you, just getting tired of people quoting sections of the HC that only appeal to them. (having a rough day today)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well I would like to signal, but sometimes it's not possible and entirely legal for cyclists to signal - bad road surfaces, downhill requiring braking, etc. And many other road users also signal poorly, incorrectly, or not at all.

The result is that you should never make assumptions about indication meaning anything. You should also never try to justify someone getting angry on the roads. The result is that your post previously is completely and utterly wrong. Sorry about that.

wanda2010

Guru
I don't signal on busy roundabouts. Poor surfacing, fast-moving vehicles and sometimes deliberately 'too close' vehicles convinced me otherwise. Getting into the correct lane with left and right shoulder checks appear to do the job.

I signal at my local small roundabouts as they are a whole lot less busy.

Having said all that, I'm going for more cycle training in early May. On road this time so I'll see what the trainer has to say re my roundabout manoeuvres.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
jonny jeez said:
I dont wait for cars that are travelling straignt on to leave the RB (i would be rear ended pretty smartish if I did this each time I approached a large RB on my bike) before I enter so why would they do that for me.
Nobody is suggesting that you have to wait until the people on the roundabout exit the roundabout before anyone else can enter it, but that if someone is already on the roundabout (signalling or not) you should be prepared to stop should they want to pass the junction at which you are entering (assuming that if you continued onwards it would force them to brake/swerve).

They are on the roundabout and therefore have priority. No excuses really.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Sorry about that.

That's ok, I respect your opinion Mikey.

But (there's always a but) I not defending the display of car indicatiors or how we should react to them (I agree, far to many drivers leave indicators on without realising) I am arguing that...on a roundabout...we need to let others know of our intentions by making sure WE signal...we can't leave our indicators on so it should never be assumed we are indicating by mistake.

That said, I totally take your point on the "getting angry" issue, nothing justifies that (all though we all do sometimes get angry). I should not have suggested that I might have reacted in the same way...in truth I probably wouldn't...but i was trying to make a point as no-one had asked the question of whether Buggi had signaled...and that seemed liek a sensible question to ask.

Top Bottom