Can you believe this????!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
buggi said:
Get this... I'm riding my bike home from work, I'm on a roundabout and I'm turning right. As I go round, a guy in a 4x4 pulls up at the give way... I'm already on the roundabout, he's not... he wants to go straight on, but I'm coming around as I'm turning right, so he has to give way.
He only BLASTS his horn at me and gives me the two fingers!!!!
Can you fookin believe that??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was so livid, I gave him every hand signal I could think of (which was only 3 but I made sure they were VERY effective by including the clenched fist in the elbow) and surprise surprise he drove off as he didn't want to confront me.
Fooking C*nt!
Has anybody ever had this???? How can he even justify that in any way???? Do I just attract these idiots. I'm shocked!

I'm surprised you're surprised, to be honest. There are a lot of small minded stupid angry people out there. The best response is a 'what?' shrug, and console yourself with their iminent stroke/heart attack/ulcer, while you're healthier with every ride.

GrasB

Veteran
buggi said:
Get this... I'm riding my bike home from work, I'm on a roundabout and I'm turning right. As I go round, a guy in a 4x4 pulls up at the give way... I'm already on the roundabout, he's not... he wants to go straight on, but I'm coming around as I'm turning right, so he has to give way.
He only BLASTS his horn at me and gives me the two fingers!!!!
Can you fookin believe that??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was so livid, I gave him every hand signal I could think of (which was only 3 but I made sure they were VERY effective by including the clenched fist in the elbow) and surprise surprise he drove off as he didn't want to confront me.
Fooking C*nt!
Has anybody ever had this???? How can he even justify that in any way???? Do I just attract these idiots. I'm shocked!
Yeah, straight off the M11 up the slip road & completely ignored my presence. Have that several times but on motorway roundabouts typically you can see them coming, just loop round & try again.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
jimboalee said:
Can you PM me a good description of the 4x4 and/or the driver.
I will keep my eye out.

Which RaB was it? Olton Tavern, I would suspect.... There's a 4x4 factory just by there....:smile:

no, it was by the NEC/Airport the RaB next to the RaB with the bird sculpture on it. i was heading towards the bird sculptures.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
jonny jeez said:
Did you signal?...be honest, if not then his actions were totally understandable, to be honest, I would probably have done the same

If, however you signaled clearly then this guy needs takling to.

BentMikey said:
If someone's on the roundabout then you give way no matter what the indication. There's never an excuse for giving the finger.

I agree BentMikey.

Yes, i'll be honest. No i didn't signal... but before you have a go, it's dangerous to signal on this particular island because it's downhill as you enter the island off a dual carriageway, and then an adverse camber as you turn right around the roundabout to start to exit uphill. taking my hands off the handlebars would be suicide at this point and not only do you have to tuck in tight but you have to brake as you go around the island to avoid speeding up too much (it's quite steep)

And although under normal circumstances i would not be surprised he had had a go, i had already seen his road positioning, the island is pretty flat so he had a good view of me, as i did of him, as i came round i knew he had seen me already as he was already braking and slowing down (and was plenty far away), so i knew his one tiny brain cell had registered the fact that i was in the right hand lane and tucked into the right hand side of that lane, hugging the roundabout. VERY obvious i am turning right, and i had eye contact with him that he had seen me. that's why i'm so surprised.
because of the suicidal conditions of the adverse camber i have never signalled here, but i have never had a motorist not register that i was turning right because of my road positioning. it's not rocket science. but then again... if you only have one tiny brain cell.
then again, it's possible that he hadn't seen me at all, and was slowing down while he looked for cars, in which case even if i had signalled he wouldn't have seen me.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
*feels virtuous* about my earlier downhill comment. Off-camber and downhill? I very much doubt I would be signalling either. Driver is a twunt.

PBancroft

IMHO some motorists just don't see cyclists, in much the same way that people don't seem to see road signs. They look, but they don't see.

Part of Andover Road in Winchester in closed at the moment due to work on the Railway bridge. This is well signposted in advance, with plenty of diversion routes. I've lost track of the number of cars who have driven right up to the start of the works, then irately perform a three point turn and go back the way they came.

In a similar way I think there are motorists who just aren't looking for cyclists (or anything). All of a sudden a cyclist appears from "nowhere" making the motorist perform an "emergency manoeuvre."

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
jimboalee said:
I had a 4x4 following me quite closely.

At an appropriate moment, I waved him past.

We both pulled up at a set of lights and he wound his passenger window down and shouted "Thanks, cyclist".

I leant in his window and said "Nope mate. You're in a ( Sh!t heap ) Toyota and it might not be able to stop".

30 cases worldwide in 8 million vehicles
The whole thing has been blown out of proportion , i am not a voice box for toyota or a designer but i work there and comments like that fan the flame and are part of the reason i am having to sell my house cos we have been put on short time due to scare mongering making people not buy cars .

Think before you take the crap out of somebody's honest means to make ends meet

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
buggi said:
I agree BentMikey.

Yes, i'll be honest. No i didn't signal... but before you have a go, it's dangerous to signal on this particular island because it's downhill as you enter the island off a dual carriageway, and then an adverse camber as you turn right around the roundabout to start to exit uphill. taking my hands off the handlebars would be suicide at this point and not only do you have to tuck in tight but you have to brake as you go around the island to avoid speeding up too much (it's quite steep)

And although under normal circumstances i would not be surprised he had had a go, i had already seen his road positioning, the island is pretty flat so he had a good view of me, as i did of him, as i came round i knew he had seen me already as he was already braking and slowing down (and was plenty far away), so i knew his one tiny brain cell had registered the fact that i was in the right hand lane and tucked into the right hand side of that lane, hugging the roundabout. VERY obvious i am turning right, and i had eye contact with him that he had seen me. that's why i'm so surprised.
because of the suicidal conditions of the adverse camber i have never signalled here, but i have never had a motorist not register that i was turning right because of my road positioning. it's not rocket science. but then again... if you only have one tiny brain cell.
then again, it's possible that he hadn't seen me at all, and was slowing down while he looked for cars, in which case even if i had signalled he wouldn't have seen me.

Hmm.

Without trying to inflame this still further, I simply don't agree. and for one reason.

If a car or a lorry or a motorcycle had acted as you did (as we see time and again on videos on youtube) we would all have shouted

"Well if you know it's a tricky roundabout, with a dodgy camber or a steep downhill, or this or that..., you should have slowed down and given more time to allow safe signaling/driving"

etc etc.

Sounds a lot like one rule for them and another for us. I don't subscribe to this theory. The same rules apply to us all and if we choose to ignore them (as we are all welcome to do.. I often do myself) we CANNOT be surprised if we come unstuck.

So in answer to your thread, yes I do believe it, you chose to ignore the Highway Code and were surprised that someone found that irritating.

Still no harm done, everyone is still alive and unscathed.

Just to stress. I am confident I wind up a number of motorists each day by choosing to ignore the highway code myself (in some way or another), but I'm never surprised if it does and try to let them know that, or else I feel I'll pay in the long run.

PS, well done for being honest

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cyclists in particular have limitations on their ability to indicate that motor vehicles don't have, including motorbikes. That's a fact of physics, not of speed or ability. It's recognised in National Standards training too, making you wrong.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Cyclists in particular have limitations on their ability to indicate that motor vehicles don't have, including motorbikes. That's a fact of physics, not of speed or ability. It's recognised in National Standards training too, making you wrong.

I don't deny that

And a good cyclist should understand those limitations and ride "Within" them, or accept the risks for not doing so...it's their choice and they are free to take it.

There is no right or wrong to defend here BM (despite you repetitively trying to tell me I am WRONG for having an opinion) its Buggi's choice and he requested our opinion when he asked "Can you believe it"..I do believe it, you dont, neither of us is wrong.

Christ, I sound like Yoda :smile:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
jonny jeez said:
I don't deny that

And a good cyclist should understand those limitations and ride "Within" them, or accept the risks for not doing so...it's their choice and they are free to take it.

There is no right or wrong to defend here BM (despite you repetitively trying to tell me I am WRONG for having an opinion) its Buggi's choice and he requested our opinion when he asked "Can you believe it"..I do believe it, you dont, neither of us is wrong.

Buggi is most definitely a She. Quite a tall one too, and with attitude! :smile::biggrin:

Origamist

Legendary Member
jonny jeez said:
I don't deny that

If you don't signal your intentions via your arm (and rely on your road position/life savers to signify intent) not all drivers interpret/read these signs correctly and even those that do can still bully their way through RaBs. That said, more often than not I'll indicate to reinforce what I'm doing.

If it's wet, diesel is around, or if the RaB is off-camber, pot-holed etc you have to try and weigh up the risks of physically indicating (compromised control and braking ability) and consider reducing/increasing your speed (and the consequences of doing that). It's also important to consider the timing of when you indicate.

If you're choosing not to indicate, you have to try and give yourself an "out" if at all possible. Of course, if you choose not to indicate and are involved in a collision - contributory negligence would be considered. However, you're a darn sight more vulnerable when you're splatted, immobile on the floor after losing control in a failed attempt to indicate - for that reason alone, I prefer to exercise discretion.

Cyclists in these situations are in an invidious position.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
Cyclist in these situations are in an invidious position.

Get in front of maggers and you'll definitely be invidious. (coat actually on fire.....).

P1ss poor punnery aside, the indicate/no indicate is one that affects me most days on some selected local, slippy, inclined-approach, potholed, priority-often-ignored mini-rabs. Like O says, you just have to set the spider senses to max, read the situation as best you can and adapt accordingly.

Top Bottom