Can you believe this????!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Unfortunately I don't have any of her :sad:... well, not ones that she knows about! :smile:;)

The lamppost opposite her bedroom window and a 500mm lens have been good to me though. :smile::biggrin:

boydj

Legendary Member
Origamist said:
If you don't signal your intentions via your arm (and rely on your road position/life savers to signify intent) not all drivers interpret/read these signs correctly and even those that do can still bully their way through RaBs. That said, more often than not I'll indicate to reinforce what I'm doing.

If it's wet, diesel is around, or if the RaB is off-camber, pot-holed etc you have to try and weigh up the risks of physically indicating (compromised control and braking ability) and consider reducing/increasing your speed (and the consequences of doing that). It's also important to consider the timing of when you indicate.

If you're choosing not to indicate, you have to try and give yourself an "out" if at all possible. Of course, if you choose not to indicate and are involved in a collision - contributory negligence would be considered. However, you're a darn sight more vulnerable when you're splatted, immobile on the floor after losing control in a failed attempt to indicate - for that reason alone, I prefer to exercise discretion.

Cyclists in these situations are in an invidious position.

I understand where you are coming from, but in the event of a collision in the situation described, I doubt if there could be any question of contributory negligence.

The only thing that could allow a vehicle to enter the roundabout ahead of a vehicle already on the roundabout would be an explicit left turn signal before the junction from the vehicle already on the roundabout.

As a cyclist, I think good road positioning on a roundabout (as Buggi seems to have done) is at least as important as signalling, but not even all of that plus eye contact is enough for some drivers.

To be honest, the HC is pretty useless with roundabouts and bikes and is in need of updating

2 roundabouts for some reason scare the bejasus out of some motorists, confuse others into a complete disregard for lanes, and turn the rest into raging psychopaths. and the HC suggests I might like to ride around the perimiter with my right arm stretched out and expect to stay non-pancake-shaped

Origamist

Legendary Member
boydj said:
I understand where you are coming from, but in the event of a collision in the situation described, I doubt if there could be any question of contributory negligence.

I'd bet money an insurance company would use the lack of indication as grounds for reducing a claim ("causing confusion" no doubt). I'd certainly fight the contributory negligence claim, but you must expect such shenanigans.

boydj said:
As a cyclist, I think good road positioning on a roundabout (as Buggi seems to have done) is at least as important as signalling, but not even all of that plus eye contact is enough for some drivers.

I'd agree, but signalling has the added benefit of increasing the likelihood of catching other road users attention.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
boydj said:

The only thing that could allow a vehicle to enter the roundabout ahead of a vehicle already on the roundabout would be an explicit left turn signal before the junction from the vehicle already on the roundabout.

it's true that insurance companies would try to claim contributory negligence, but they always do what they can. This particular roundabout has wide lanes, and only a "bear left" and a "right turn". Not only is it very obvious which way you are going from the lane you are in, but by the time the driver saw me anyway, signalling or not, i was already past the bear left turn and cycling towards the right turn and therefore, in my opinion, didn't need to signal at this point.

ps... yes i am a girl :ohmy:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I was thinking about this thread a lot last night on my ride home (I just couldn’t let it lie!!)

And I want to be really clear on a few things.

Buggi, I am not criticising your riding at all. I find that I signal less and less these days and I am not really sure why that is…perhaps I feel it pointless, perhaps I'm am getting lazy…I don’t know.

And, I take Mikey's point that in certain road conditions or positions it is positively a hazard to take a hand off of your only control device…mid maneuver.

I am also sure that you positioned yourself correctly and did all you could (short of signaling) to communicate your intention to the other road sharer.

Oh, and sorry I called you a bloke....

Have I covered everything?..okay so here's the rub.

I get all of that…all of it…, but the bottom line is, don’t be surprised if our choice to ignore certain "rules", winds other road sharers up…..its inevitable, other people need little or no reason to judge us and rightly or wrongly will become irritated if we don’t follow the perceived "rules" (like THEY do religiously of course) .

By the same token, don’t fell obliged to follow the rules (like following cycle-lanes up the side of left turning HGV's) if you wish….just be prepared to accept the consequences of your choice as you would the benifits.

I need a fag now (and I don’t even smoke!)

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
jonny jeez said:
I was thinking about this thread a lot last night on my ride home (I just couldn’t let it lie!!)

And I want to be really clear on a few things.

Buggi, I am not criticising your riding at all. I find that I signal less and less these days and I am not really sure why that is…perhaps I feel it pointless, perhaps I'm am getting lazy…I don’t know.

And, I take Mikey's point that in certain road conditions or positions it is positively a hazard to take a hand off of your only control device…mid maneuver.

I am also sure that you positioned yourself correctly and did all you could (short of signaling) to communicate your intention to the other road sharer.

Oh, and sorry I called you a bloke....

Have I covered everything?..okay so here's the rub.

I get all of that…all of it…, but the bottom line is, don’t be surprised if our choice to ignore certain "rules", winds other road sharers up…..its inevitable, other people need little or no reason to judge us and rightly or wrongly will become irritated if we don’t follow the perceived "rules" (like THEY do religiously of course) .

By the same token, don’t fell obliged to follow the rules (like following cycle-lanes up the side of left turning HGV's) if you wish….just be prepared to accept the consequences of your choice as you would the benifits.

I need a fag now (and I don’t even smoke!)

you know, you're absolutely right. yes, really you are, i totally agree. and furthermore, i've decided i'm going to follow by example. next time i'm on my bike and i'm at an island waiting to pull out for a car that comes round and, although he isn't signalling, my one brain cell (because that's all that cyclists have right?) deduces that it is obvious from his road positioning he's going to turn right, i'm going to give him the two fingers anyway. ;) my commutes are going to be a whole lot more fun from now on

boydj

Legendary Member
buggi said:
Not only is it very obvious which way you are going from the lane you are in, but by the time the driver saw me anyway, signalling or not, i was already past the bear left turn and cycling towards the right turn and therefore, in my opinion, didn't need to signal at this point.

This is why I don't understand Jonny's obsession with signalling. Mostly, you need to make your intentions clear to other road users. Signalling is good, but on a bike is not always possible.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
buggi said:
you know, you're absolutely right. yes, really you are, i totally agree. and furthermore, i've decided i'm going to follow by example. next time i'm on my bike and i'm at an island waiting to pull out for a car that comes round and, although he isn't signalling, my one brain cell (because that's all that cyclists have right?) deduces that it is obvious from his road positioning he's going to turn right, i'm going to give him the two fingers anyway. :smile: my commutes are going to be a whole lot more fun from now on

boydj said:
This is why I don't understand Jonny's obsession with signalling. Mostly, you need to make your intentions clear to other road users. Signalling is good, but on a bike is not always possible.

Look...for the last time (for the love of God how can I make this any clearer!!)

I am not obsessed about signalling...nor am I right or wrong, so you can drop the sarcasm

I am simply telling you that, if you decide to do something...or not do something, then you need to accept the responsibility of that choice....after all it is your choice

I don't care if you signal or not...I really don't care how you want to ride.

but don't set up a thread asking for my opinion and then get all shirty with me for providing just that.

your OP question was "can you believe this"...yes I can believe it ..if you took the time to read my replies properly you would see that I am not criticising you, or your choices in any way, yet you still feel some need post a sarcastic response.

I never inferred any lack of brain cells or intelligence on your part,
...you managed to do that all by yourself, with your response.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Plenty of cars don't signal correctly on roundabouts but we generally know what's happening from their road position. The problem is that some drivers can't extrapolate that out to other road users nor judge differences in speeds and behaviours. It comes down to a judgement call for us, I would rarely be giving a full arm signal in the type of position Buggi was in. However, as well as attempts at eye contact, I often reinforce my intent by pointing. I've already signalled, and checked over the shoulder, on the approach so the cars behind should know my intent. My remaining concerns are cars joining the roundabout and cutting across my exit path. Just lifting a hand off the bars and waving towards where you're going seems to be enough to reinforce the eye contact and make them understand. Plus it keeps your hands close to the controls where you need them.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
jonny jeez said:
Look...for the last time (for the love of God how can I make this any clearer!!)

I am not obsessed about signalling...nor am I right or wrong, so you can drop the sarcasm

I am simply telling you that, if you decide to do something...or not do something, then you need to accept the responsibility of that choice....after all it is your choice

I don't care if you signal or not...I really don't care how you want to ride.

but don't set up a thread asking for my opinion and then get all shirty with me for providing just that.

your OP question was "can you believe this"...yes I can believe it ..if you took the time to read my replies properly you would see that I am not criticising you, or your choices in any way, yet you still feel some need post a sarcastic response.

I never inferred any lack of brain cells or intelligence on your part,
...you managed to do that all by yourself, with your response.
Are you signalling to us that you're unhappy, JJ? :angry:;)

Top Bottom