Can you buy just half a Shimano cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Hey,

It's come to the point where my cassette and chainring has gone through about 5 chains so looking to replace the lot.
I only ever use ~5 smallest sprockets and notice since Shimano cassettes come with the biggest sprockets as one unit and the smaller ones individually, is it possible to buy just the smaller sprockets (and maybe save a few quid)? I can't seem to find anything but whole cassettes for sale...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No you can't !

Pretty sure that you can actually often (at least up to 9 speed) buy the small sprocket separately, but it never seems to be worth the bother to me. And since I'm not clever enough to judge the wear on rear sprockets I just replace the lot.
The seriously nerdy make up their own cassettes by taking them apart but I wouldn't want to be in the kitchen at a party with them.

So yes you can buy the small sprocket separately - (how many speeds is your bike) - I wouldn't expect to find such a thing from the ponces at wiggle or chain reaction though - I'd check out St John Street Cycles or some of the sensible german outfits.

You can.
But the are both very rare and expensive.
So you'll end up spending more than just buying a cassette.

Best bet.
Just buy a cassette with the small sprockets you want.
If the large ones are the ones you want, then just the whole cassette.
Otherwise swap the large sprockets in.
Because you only need to worry about the small sprockets, you may be able to pick up something cheap.

Luck ........... ^_^

rualexander

Legendary Member
Some Shimano sprockets are available individually, but tends to be for higher end groupsets and pricing probably makes it just as economical to buy the whole cassette.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassette-spares-shimano/

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just buy a more compact cassette. If you are running an 11-32 and only using the smaller cogs then maybe an 11-26 or 11-23 might be more suitable.

This was the first mod I made when buying a hybrid for commuting many years ago, swaped out and sold the unused 11-32 and fitted the 11-25 or 11-26 (shimano or sram, whichever was cheaper at the time).

si_c

Guru
Just buy a more compact cassette. If you are running an 11-32 and only using the smaller cogs then maybe an 11-26 or 11-23 might be more suitable.

This was the first mod I made when buying a hybrid for commuting many years ago, swaped out and sold the unused 11-32 and fitted the 11-25 or 11-26 (shimano or sram, whichever was cheaper at the time).
I used to run 12-25 when commuting, it was fine until I took that bike into north Wales.:wacko:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Rose Bikes also appear to sell individual cogs for Shimano cassettes (10 speed for example)

Unfortunately I use SRAM 12-25 cassettes so I don't know if they would fit, but they'd save me a bit of cash only having to replace the 16 & 15 tooth cogs each time - pic below is from a PG1050 with 4500 miles on a single chain, 17 - 14 tooth cogs left to right
Cassette wear (2).jpg

Top Bottom