Can you control your turbo trainer resistance using an appwhilst riding with Zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Taupe78

Basically, I'm asking as would like to potentially use 'Level' mode at times to avoid gear changes on rides.

To do that I need to be able to use the Turbo Traniers own app (e.g. Elite's)... BUT, if the turbo trainer has only 1 bluetooth connection AND I'm using Apple TV - can I disable 'control' of zwift to the trainer and use an app to set the resiatnce whilst still riding in Zwift?

si_c

Guru
Should be able to, just use the Turbo as a power source on zwift and disconnect the controllable trainer option. Then adjust the target power using an app on your phone or your cycling computer.

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes, you need to set the Zwift just to read the power only and have the other app control the trainer. I regularly used Trainer Road and Zwift together. Zwift was the visual entertainment and TR controlled the turbo for set power levels. I used two Ant+ dongles on my PC so each program were separated to do their thing.

OP
OP
T

Taupe78

Yeah - Si_C is right - I basically want to use an app to drive resistance - whilst still 'riding' Zwift.

I'm wondering if wanting to do that limits me to Kickrs as they have multiple bluetooth channels.
Cause if I use apple TV - it can't receive ANT+ - so thought the 1 Bluetooth channel would be taken up by Zwift - so would not be able to connect any app on my phone to control the trainer unless it has more than 1 bluetooth channel - which only Kickrs seem to have.

OP
OP
T

Taupe78

Should be able to, just use the Turbo as a power source on zwift and disconnect the controllable trainer option. Then adjust the target power using an app on your phone or your cycling computer.

Thanks!!
So can I do that with 1 bluetooth connection and the fact that Apple TV can only be connected to by Bluetooth (and not ANT+)

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I think if you add the ‘Zwift-companion‘ app to your phone/control device you can change power settings etc … at will, at any time a program is running …

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Per above you can alter the 'bias' up or down in a few taps but this is limited to workout mode in Zwift.

You'll be able to set up your trainer (assuming it's a Smart one) either to run off the Elite App, your bike computer/ERG or Zwift/ERG, adjust the feedback intensity as you see fit. It might take a bit of playing about until you've got it right. FWIW I don't use ERG anymore, it might be the quality of the Elite Suito but I found its varying resistance would injure me and I can put much more watts out sustainably with a resistance or level modes.

Top Bottom