Can you fit a road bike in a Renault Clio (2019)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Sorry - just to clarify I put my bike in my car quite a lot - So yes I know it will fit - but I wanted to know the ease with which it goes in (oh err missus)

There are too many variables to decide that online. Ie. Size of car, size of bike, your strength and flexibility, your expectations, weight of bike, whether mudguards are fitted, QR wheels/saddle, how far back you have the driver's seat.

Take your bike to a main dealer, pretend to be interested in a PCP deal and ask if they can unlock one and leave you too it for 20 minutes while you have a try.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
There are too many variables to decide that online. Ie. Size of car, size of bike, your strength and flexibility, your expectations, weight of bike, whether mudguards are fitted, QR wheels/saddle, how far back you have the driver's seat.

Take your bike to a main dealer, pretend to be interested in a PCP deal and ask if they can unlock one and leave you too it for 20 minutes while you have a try.

What ?

I know "too many variables" is something of a cliche on here - but it doesn't apply here surely !!!!

The boot space is not a variable - and neither is a small size road bike.

As I said in post 1 - I wanted to buy on line - like a growing number of people I loathe the used sales forecourt - the idea was to avoid that visit .

sheddy

Legendary Member
Assuming rear seats are not regularly used, unbolting the seat squabs (easy with practice) provides more length.
I always tie down with cam straps to prevent bike and wheel flying forwards in the event of a crash.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

Guessing not all the way as he rides a small bike

sleuthey

Legendary Member
but it doesn't apply here surely !!!!
Ive taken the time to offer you advice. An option would be to try and appreciate it. If your not into accepting others opinions I'm surprised you asked for them.

Nobody said it is. For all we know you may appreciate the "ease" of just having to lower 60% of the back seat not 100%. It only takes one bike brand making thier size small 1" bigger for it to not fit the gap.

As I said in post 1 - I wanted to buy on line - like a growing number of people I loathe the used sales forecourt - the idea was to avoid that visit
Nobody said anything about buying it or visiting a used forecourt. As you said in post 1, do the buying online.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Ive taken the time to offer you advice. An option would be to try and appreciate it. If your not into accepting others opinions I'm surprised you asked for them.

Nobody said it is. For all we know you may appreciate the "ease" of just having to lower 60% of the back seat not 100%. It only takes one bike brand making thier size small 1" bigger for it to not fit the gap.

Nobody said anything about buying it or visiting a used forecourt. As you said in post q, do the buying online.

What advice have you offered?

Visit a forecourt with my bike ? Which I have already said I don't want to do.

You've even said the size of the car is a variable. Quite obviously it isn't. All 2019 Renault clio s are the same size !!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As a 'Saloon' owner, I can get some bodies in 'mine'. According to many bike sites, owning a said car is a bit rubbish if you have bikes. Sorry, it's not. We need a van/VW T6/low loader/4x4. ???

Two of us have saloons, two others have 'estates' - four big MTB's on roof, four folks in car with all gubbins in the 'boot' - it's that simple. Muddy shoot in boot. In a CAR...

And then when no bikes on roof, the car does car stuff, not van shizzle.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Do people actually enjoy buying a new car (yes I know some people do !!!) - I absolutely dread it

A necessary evil, even when I had company cars. Admittedly swapping to the turbo Golf GTI after the ordinary (but perfectly OK) Mondeo was nice, but after that it was just a nuisance. A boss of mine so much liked his Lexus that they almost had to sent the repo man round as he'd delayed ordering a replacement for too long.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
What advice have you offered?
My advice was that there are too many variables to decide the ease of which it goes in online. Ie. I recommend you do not purchase a car for say £10k based purely on the opinions of others without trying it out yourself incase it's not what your expecting.

You've even said the size of the car is a variable. Quite obviously it isn't. All 2019 Renault clio s are the same size !!!!
In your situation the size of the car is one variable ie. Clio, 208, Fiesta etc are all going to vary slightly in size. If internal car size was the only variable then it would be easy to decide on a car using a tape measure and brochure.

Last edited:

Dadam

Well yes it can be, depending on spec or options. Leather or sports seats can reduce boot space. Seat adjustment options can increase or decrease it. Electric seats are sometimes chunkier or have less adjustment room. The Focus Estate model I got in 2013 would have had a boot floor height that differed by several cm between opting for a full size spare wheel, a space saver, or no spare.

Gillstay

Über Member
I can get a bike easily in a Fiat 500 and even got a motorbike in a Metro once. It all depends on how handy you are with a spanner.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can get a bike easily in a Fiat 500 and even got a motorbike in a Metro once. It all depends on how handy you are with a spanner.

I got a mountain bike (not mine - I was just transporting it) in the back of a Vauxhall Corsa once. I had to take the wheels off and was mightily pissed off that there was so little room left for my luggage afterwards. It was so bloody awkward.

Gillstay

Über Member
I got a mountain bike (not mine - I was just transporting it) in the back of a Vauxhall Corsa once. I had to take the wheels off and was mightily pissed off that there was so little room left for my luggage afterwards. It was so bloody awkward.

Yes, Corsa's are not as good as many others in my experience. I put my touring bike in one and then HAD to fit in an absolutely gorgeous German girl who had missed her bus to the town as the boat got in late. Dont recal being pissed off though. :laugh:

Top Bottom