Can you make a frame fit you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought a bike on a whim (OK I found it really cheap). It was without wheels, and now is complete. However, I have found that the steerer has been cut way too short for me. The frame is 50/51cm and I know is probably a bit too small, but if I found some new forks with a higher steerer, could I get this to fit me? Sorry for sounding thick, but I am new to all of this. Also, is it difficult to swap over a set of forks?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i see no reason why you shouldnt be able to swap forks over and then with some spacers and trial and error on stem lengths you should be able to get close

brucers

Guru
I sometimes get bikes with frames that are too small for me but by putting different handlebars on can adjust the geometry to my liking in effect. Usually straight handlebars swopped for the curved type, angled upwards.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Yes to a point. I think by the next size up or down but after that you will be struggling and, also, start to look a bit ridiculous on the bike. You can change the stem, for instance, to give you a shorter or longer reach.

Top Bottom