can you name my frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roy Brooks

Regular
Frame & bike dates from mid 60's (second hand when I bought it in 1965). No makers badge or number markings. Wheels 25" tubeless. Would like an idea before advertising "as is" for project, or refurb with replacement wheels/clinchers if can be sourced. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Bike pics 001.jpg
    Bike pics 001.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Bike pics 002.jpg
    Bike pics 002.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Bike pics 003.jpg
    Bike pics 003.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Bike pics 005.jpg
    Bike pics 005.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Bike pics 006.jpg
    Bike pics 006.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Bike pics 007.jpg
    Bike pics 007.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Bike pics 010.jpg
    Bike pics 010.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 172
  • Bike pics 014.jpg
    Bike pics 014.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 182

AndyRM

XOXO
How about Steve?

Pics won't load for me so I can't offer a more helpful suggestion.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Nervex and wrapover seatstays: Holdsworth? Not very good photos though.

Is there a serial number under the bottom bracket shell and does it match the one of the steerer?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I uploaded to earlier request Name a frame & tubs anyone but had very few ressponses
that makes sense , nice lugwork

AndyRM

XOXO
If you check page 2 of beginners I've loaded pics again under "tubs anyone" & "name a frame" Thanks

Loading fine now, but I'm afraid I haven't a clue. As biggs says, the lugwork is lovely, and I think quite distinctive.

Perhaps try retrobike.co.uk? There are some very knowledgeable people in that neck of the internet!

You could still buy a bike so equipped in the late seventies but it could be 15 or more years older than that. Campag mech, stronglight or TA cranks, Lyotard pedals were the components of choice for yer top of the range light tourist. The wrap over seat stays at the seat cluster is a Carlton trade mark. And a feature so closely associated with Carlton that other frame builders very rarely used it. I've never seen a Carlton with such fancy lugs - and they are very fancy indeed - but then I'm no expert on the marque. Its almost certainly 531. Definitely hand made- expensive in its day - and almost certainly British. Possibly Carlton. Make a nice resto project.

Not a light tourist sorry, now that ive found the big picture, but what they used to call a 'Clubman's' bike. A road bike but with decent clearances for mudguards and slightly longer stays.

OP
OP
R

Roy Brooks

Regular
Not a light tourist sorry, now that ive found the big picture, but what they used to call a 'Clubman's' bike. A road bike but with decent clearances for mudguards and slightly longer stays.
Could anyone give me an idea of its current value as I'm unsure whether I really have the time to restore it to former glory and may decide to let it go.

Some light restoration should push the value up a bit. A strip-down and clean may well give some further clues i.e. component date stamps etc. Work carried out appears to translate well to better sale prices on Ebay. If immaculate, new paint and all you may get conciderably more than £100. Certainly does not deserve to be treated as an ATB. IMHO.

Top Bottom