can you name my frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Roy Brooks

Regular
Some light restoration should push the value up a bit. A strip-down and clean may well give some further clues i.e. component date stamps etc. Work carried out appears to translate well to better sale prices on Ebay. If immaculate, new paint and all you may get conciderably more than £100. Certainly does not deserve to be treated as an ATB. IMHO.

Many thanks for your comments - I confess at the time of the paintjob some 15 yrs ago I really had no idea the frame/bike might be worth a classic restoration. My daughter just wanted a roadworthy bike and we jointly chose the colours and transfers. I'm still looking for clues as to origins - someone's just suggested it could be a "Holmes" frame, apparently the company were in North Kent which would fit the period and location where I bought it later.

Sterba

Über Member
These are definitely not Nervex lugs. The Fleur-de-Lys design was used by many UK framebuilders handcut from blanks. Wrap-over seat stays were not restricted to Carlton, in fact WBH at Condor used that design and it was copied by many. You need a frame number, probably underneath the bottom bracket, to get closer to the make. I had an AS Gillott with exactly these features. See ClassicLightweights for examples of this type of frame.

OP
OP
R

Roy Brooks

Regular
Thanks for your comments and interest. I'm still trying to identify the frame and will use some stripper (carefully) to reveal any ID markings. I've not seen many frames with the rear brake bridge (though just seen a Carlton with one.

OP
OP
R

Roy Brooks

Regular
I've looke for MacCleans which seem similar but not identical
I found an advert for Youngs of Lewisham/Bill Philbrook who possibly made very similar frames.
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/youngs-builders.html
I'd really like to sell the bike to someone who will appreciate it and fully restore it. Basically it just needs new tubs which I believe are like Rocking Horse doodoo's but coming from late 50'5 early 60's they are imperial rather than 700mm. If you know anyone who'd be interested I'd appreciate a contact name/number.
Worried about advertising on Ebay in case go's too cheap!

You may never find out the original builder, tbh. Don't worry about the ebay price, because if someone wants it they will pay - although they may not pay as much as you might be expecting. Frames of this age - especially unidentified ones with non-original paint - have a very limited appeal. If you are expecting it to go for big bucks, then you may be disappointed. Someone mentioned £100 earlier - I could be wrong, but if it reached half that amount, I'd be suprised.

OP
OP
R

Roy Brooks

Regular
Do you think it would it be better to break it up & sell off frame & parts separately as all same age & seems builders look for original for rebuilds?

OP
OP
R

Roy Brooks

Regular
OK thanks. I think I'll take some clearer pics & give it a try. Any idea what would be a fair expectation of price? I paid about £20 back in early 60's!

Owd Fella

Tubs - Rocking Horse doo-doo's? Very readily available, even at Decathlon. People still race on them. Look for Continental Giro or Vittoria Rallye. Both heavy'ish tubs suitable for this bike with amber side walls. Tubulars (not tubeless, they have tubes inside) for 'normal' bikes have always been the same diameter as 700c (unless we're talking about triathlon, 'funny' and youngsters bikes).

What size is the frame?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
tubs are a different size to either 700c (but close) or old school 27" tyres. i've got some sprint rims from the '50s that fit modern tubs fine. Vittoria Rallye are fine for road use and give a nice fast ride.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Given that it is unlikely that identification is going to happen in this case, if you are after best value then breaking is IMHO your best bet. The crankset is a Stronglight 49D and can fetch a good price on Ebay (check closed listings for how much to expect). Same with the bar end shifters (look like Campagnolo) and the centrepull brakes possibly Mafac from what I can see in pics. Lyotard Berthet pedals also fetch good prices. Well over a hundred quids worth in those parts alone I'd estimate. Listed as a complete bike possibly £50 and yet the bare frame might make nearly that. Odd I know but that is what tends to happen on Ebay. Not a good time of year to list though what with xmas round the corner. Best in the autumn when peeps are looking at readying for winter project builds.
Be aware too that it would be likely that if you listed it complete you'd see the parts above listed a week later by the purchaser, happens all too regularly IME.
Good luck whatever you decide

Top Bottom