Can you not buy bells for bikes anymore!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Just had an encounter with a beardy flat capped dog walker (no offense to anyone who like beards, flatcaps, dogs aslong as they cycle of course), who shouted after me as I'd gently slowed behind him and politely asked him if I could sneak past due to the fact his 63 foot long extendable dog lead was blocking the entire width and half a field on the pennine trail. I asked why I needed one as I'd asked him nicely and politely and had slowed to a stop before doing so, to which he let fly with a rant about dangerous speeding cyclists. When I asked him whether I was a dangerous speeding cyclist he then went onto say no but you're all the same.

So my question is this bell or no bell - just to put my 2p forward no bell will ever ruin the looks of any of my bikes :smile: but I dont mind if someone else feels the need to mount one of their handlebars.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This has been discussed many times on the forum. Both have or have not a bell and dogs on leads.
As per usual we can expect the thread to decline into the usual back and forth bowlacks forthwith.

So I will start.

A Bell? Bell? On my bikes? I should CoCo! Good god no!

simon.r

Person
Someone bought me one of these for my birthday recently and it's lovely:smile:

78519759.jpg

http://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/

ShipHill

I honestly don't know why I still have the bell that came with my Boardman still on the bike because on the few occassions I've used it the following has happened...

a) nothing. It's not that the bell is uber-quiet or the surroundings loud enough to drown it out, but Joe Schlub either doesn't notice it or doesn't care.
b) sarky comments. "Ooh you've got a bell" etc and so forth

so now I do a wee cough which seems to work best.

I actually shouted "bicycle" as I came up behind a horse n cart the other week and they asked why I said that and haven't I got a bell.

My brother shouts "f*kin move it" but he's an idiot.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have both a bell and a dog. I also have a loud voice.

Bryony

Veteran
The first thing I did when I got my new bike home was take the bell off! I just cough if there is anyone in front of me that generally works. Although it didn't work on the guy pushing his bike up the hill right in the middle of the cycle path with headphones in, music is loud I was able to name the song, hedge either side so couldn't squeeze by, he couldn't even hear me shout at him. :cursing:

Top Bottom