Can you put a date on this Claud Butler please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CBGuy

Looks like a c.1965 Claud Butler, Coureur model. Only Claud model with plain short point Prugnat lugs for this year. It is the clone of the Holdsworth Typhoon of which I have a 1965 - purchased as a rebuild back in 1973 and also has oiler on bottom of BB. In 1964 Holdsworthy transitioned oiler from prior top non drive side of BB to bottom of BB. Oiler appears to have disappeared entirely by 1969 on Holdsworthy frames. Coureur came in several variations based on type of rear derailleur - Mk I, Mk II and Super. This is quite likely a Super Coureur as has the Gran Sport RD - assuming original equipment.
See Kilgariff catalogues and Flickr research data for 1959 - 1976 Claud serials - sorted by date into albums:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/76762476@N05/albums

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

Thank you CBGuy.
It’s great to know exactly what model it is.
I’ve started stripping the paint off my frame and been wondering what colour to take it. The pictures on the link above have helped too.

Attachments

• 609519A8-429E-4AE1-ACCC-65DF1ED8FDD8.jpeg
    609519A8-429E-4AE1-ACCC-65DF1ED8FDD8.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 9

CBGuy

Bobby,

Perhaps one of layers you've uncovered is original paint. Doesn't look like a high end redo and head badge seems to have solid rivets suggesting original and if removed perhaps will reveal original colour? May also be original decals to uncover if cautiously scrape away paint in likely areas.

Are you OK if I include your frame number and pics on my Flickr site?

Doug

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

Thanks Doug

Unfortunately the frame had been stripped before I’d say, under the green is a light primer, then steel.

Please include the frame number and any pictures you choose, it’s a great Flickr account you’re building there. Its already given me some valuable information.
Cheers Bob

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Looks like a c.1965 Claud Butler, Coureur model. Only Claud model with plain short point Prugnat lugs for this year. It is the clone of the Holdsworth Typhoon of which I have a 1965 - purchased as a rebuild back in 1973 and also has oiler on bottom of BB. In 1964 Holdsworthy transitioned oiler from prior top non drive side of BB to bottom of BB. Oiler appears to have disappeared entirely by 1969 on Holdsworthy frames. Coureur came in several variations based on type of rear derailleur - Mk I, Mk II and Super. This is quite likely a Super Coureur as has the Gran Sport RD - assuming original equipment.
See Kilgariff catalogues and Flickr research data for 1959 - 1976 Claud serials - sorted by date into albums:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/76762476@N05/albums
So it is an oil hole? How strange to put it underneath where the oil would just run out again!

CBGuy

Seems to be commonly referred to as an "oiler" hole. Midlife is correct it is actually a threaded hole for what I'd call a grease nipple. Whether actually used for oil or grease or both I'm not sure. I do know my 68 Claud has same nipple and BB also had a piece of aluminum from a can lining inside of BB and obscuring holes where frame tubes are brazed on, I presume to aid in containing grease. If you look at examples on Flickr you can follow "oiler" evolution of position on BB from top to bottom to not at all. Here is a pic from Flickr of another '65 Super Coureur BB with nipple in place and with same positioning and font of serial.
Interesting this one also has letters CB under serial as was also commonly seen during this time frame. Wonder re Bob's?
47706872261_09df1093b1_h.jpg

Top Bottom