Can you really average 20MPH?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weely

I have an old MTB (about 10 years old) but it was a free gift it is a german make- Bergamont. Has anyone heard of them?

Well This bike is of good quality, but it is heavy. I commute 16 miles 5days a week so I do 80 miles a week on a cycle path made of tarmac and fine gravel. It takes me 40mins to do 8 miles both ways and that averages out at about 12 MPH.

Will this improve if I upgrade to a road/tourer/hybrid?

Oh i have a budget of £500

David

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I struggle to average 20mph on my hybrid (Spesh Globe)doing a 16 mile commute on similar surfaces to you, but due to the number of barriers & gates on the TPT this brings my speed down somewhat. I reckon on a good day I can average 17mph, with a tailwind :angry: but normally nearer 15-16mph.
On my road bike (Allez Elite) over a similar distance but all tarmac roads, best i've averaged is 22.5mph, but that was going for it most of the way, normally i average 18ish on the road bike.
i would imagine your speed would improve with either a hybrid or road bike, but best improvements would certainly be a road bike

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Looking at my speedo I average 15 mph on the same terrain on a City Bike with slick tyres and no suspension.

When I had a dual suspension MTB I was averaging about 12 so there is a significant difference.

I do find however that Ill average 15 when going flat out but because of the crossings, braking to avoid dogs / children etc. that Ill only do 12 miles in one hour. It all adds up.

Before spending £500 on a new bike it might be worth spending £25 on some slick tyres. If your allready using knobblies you may get an extra 2 mph. Maybe some Schwalbe City Jet or other 26*1.5.

dudi

I can average around 20mph for up to 15 miles on my fixie.
I went on a 55mile trip today and average about 16mph.
this is on a road bike though, I know i'd be nowhere near that speed on a MTB.

Tynan

Veteran
with lights and traffic london rush hour stylee I average16mph, I reckon I'm always in the in low 20s on the flat

so yeah, with a proper set up roadie

On my heavy commuter (Ridgeback Velocity Hybrid) with a steep uphill I only average around 13mph I can really work and get it a bit faster but its not sustainable over time. On my flat bar road bike I'd average around 14.5mph on a hilly route. I've got it up to around 17.5mph average for a flatter route. On the drop barred bike, I was only 15.2 mph for the hilly 102miles today but its usually faster than that. Over a varying course I'd average around 16.5-18.5mph on the flat it'd be around 20-22.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm so very glad to read this thread. Although I have no Cycle Computer I estimate my average speed by time to cover a known distance. Considering my Apollo Kaos MTB bike is now around 17 years old I am averaging 12 mph over South Wales Valleys roads (ie flat. hilly, flat, hilly - lol) and I was unsure if this was any good or not.

pinkkaz

Veteran
I do a london commute and only average 12mph. Although this is with 60 pairs of traffic lights (which I stop for!) zebra crossings and innumerable give ways (not to mention looking out for dozy pedestrians and REALLY slow cyclists on central London cycle lanes). I'd love to see what I could do on the open road but I'm new to cycling (ish - started in April) so haven't had a chance yet. I'm cycling from London to Salisbury at the end of October though - can't wait!

When I look at my computer I'm usually doing 15-19mph.

PS - missed the point! This is with a hybrid. I don't think I would actually go any quicker on a road bike as it's all the stopping which slows me down. Saying that, I wouldn't like to do it on a mountain bike - I'm always overtaking them!

Tynan

Veteran
a road bike really is a league ahead of a hybrid, far quicker acceleration as well as an higher and more easily sustained top speed

Nick1979

wafflycat said:
20mph average is achieved by a lot of cyclists (not me, alas..). Depends on route, bike, weather conditions...

I don't agree. Average speeds you read on forums seem frequently inflated to me. 20mph average is definitively fast and only a very fit, trained cyclist (competent club cyclist or 4th/3rd cat racer) can really go faster.
Of course I talk about real average speed, i.e. measured on a circular route of more than a few miles, with a properly calibrated computer. It's easy to do 23mph average on a 5 miles route with a tailwind :rolleyes:
Soltydog, 22.5mph average is a very respectable 10 miles time trial speed, if the figure is accurate and on a 16 miles loop, you should definitively give your local TT/races a try!

RedBike

Not any more.

I used to be able to average that sort of pace if the conditions were right. In other words no hills and few reasons to have to slow (lights/ junctions). It didn't take much to cause my average speed to tumble.

To average 20mph you normally have to ride at 23/25mph pace to compensate for the bits where you're slower. Now, due to lack of fitness, I seem to ride at 18mph on the flat and therefore only average about 15mph if i'm lucky!

If you look at the results for sportive / audax rides you'll see that even on the flat routes very few riders get close to averaging 20mph.

domtyler

Über Member
My commuting average on my fixed wheel road bike is 19.1 mph through London.
Over a longer distance, say 120 miles, on a geared road bike I can get a shade over 17 mph.
I have never beaten the hour for a 25TT although only missed it by a few seconds.
On my recent touring holiday in Germany my average was just under 10 kph!* :rolleyes:

*That was mainly off road and with my parents, wife and two year old on the back though! :rolleyes:

Edit: Just to pre-empt any wise cracks from Fnaar/Maz etc., it was just the kid on the back, not my parents and wife as well, they had their own bikes.

Gosh, you fit people. I don't reckon to average more than about 16mph on a longish run, say 40+ miles. Mind you, I go much faster than that when I cycle home from work! To get back to the origional thread, I wouldn't want to ride the tow paths, etc on a bespoke road bike, surely far better to fit smooth tyres on the mtb?

Top Bottom