Can you really average 20MPH?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Nick1979 said:
I don't agree. Average speeds you read on forums seem frequently inflated to me. 20mph average is definitively fast and only a very fit, trained cyclist (competent club cyclist or 4th/3rd cat racer) can really go faster.
Of course I talk about real average speed, i.e. measured on a circular route of more than a few miles, with a properly calibrated computer. It's easy to do 23mph average on a 5 miles route with a tailwind ;)
Soltydog, 22.5mph average is a very respectable 10 miles time trial speed, if the figure is accurate and on a 16 miles loop, you should definitively give your local TT/races a try!

I actually know of a lot of cyclists who regularly average 20mph and over on distances of up to say, 25 miles. I'm talking of having these properly timed, computer and stopwatch. These folk are fit cyclists, who cycle regularly, train hard.. and are, as I said, fit. Unlike yours truly. Sigh..

Nothing to do with any of the posters on the forum..

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did a 27 min 10 mile through and off with a mate which equates to 22 mph. It's not something I could or would attempt to do normally. I was very happy to get to the end and I wouldn't have wanted to have to go into work immediately afterwards. Having said that, I'm 54 and a stone overweight and some of the club riders who shoot past me on a Saturday spin would find it a lot easier to do a 20 average, I'm sure.

gavintc

Guru
20 mph is certainly achievable but it takes some dedication and training. It has taken me about a year to get my 17 mile commute from 18 mph to 20-22 mph, but if I am honest, if I hit a strong wind, my av speed drops horribly. On a longer training run of 40 miles or more, I struggle to reach this av speed. But, there are friends for whom this is well within their legs.

You need a road bike - even a winter bike would do, but you need road tyres. You also need to spend some time developing those leg muscles and stamina.

Nick1979

wafflycat said:
I'm talking of having these properly timed, computer and stopwatch.
The important bit is to measure on a circular loop, to avoid having a wrong figure because of the wind. If you measure from A to B (for example on a commute), you will have a figure 2-3mph higher than the "real" average when the wind is favourable. On a commute, the way to do it is to average the outbound and inbound legs, instead of taking the best of the two times!

Wafflycat, I was just trying to put things in perspective. I don't want people on this board (especially on the Beginners forum) to feel sorry because they can't make 20mph average when everybody else seem to be able to!
I don't doubt your friends can do 20mph, but they are not "a lot of cyclists" then. 20mph proper average is fast, very fast actually. No "average Joe" rider, even regular cyclists and fit, can do that. You have to have a proper, racing level training for that. Actually someone who can average 20mph on their own in a 25 miles loop would probably do well in a 3rd cat race.

Another example that might reassure people: on a lot of sportives, 17mph is the average speed needed to obtain a gold brevet. A gold brevet is exactly what it implies: a reward for very good (best 10% or so) riders. Admittedly, sportives are long and most of the time (very) hilly but yet, 17mph is for the elite!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What is the speed difference though for a hybrid? Some people seem to say a gigantic 2 or 3mph and some others seem to think it so small as to not be worth mentioning?

The other thing is I reckon a two or three thousand feet worth of climbs has got to be worth a fair bit in speed.

domtyler

Über Member
Nick1979 said:
Actually someone who can average 20mph on their own in a 25 miles loop would probably do well in a 3rd cat race.

RRing is a totally different story Nick, as I suspect you know. Fitness and speed is only a relatively small part of a total package of abilities that will allow you to participate with any level of success.

wafflycat

Nick1979 said:
The important bit is to measure on a circular loop, to avoid having a wrong figure because of the wind. If you measure from A to B (for example on a commute), you will have a figure 2-3mph higher than the "real" average when the wind is favourable. On a commute, the way to do it is to average the outbound and inbound legs, instead of taking the best of the two times!

Wafflycat, I was just trying to put things in perspective. I don't want people on this board (especially on the Beginners forum) to feel sorry because they can't make 20mph average when everybody else seem to be able to!
I don't doubt your friends can do 20mph, but they are not "a lot of cyclists" then. 20mph proper average is fast, very fast actually. No "average Joe" rider, even regular cyclists and fit, can do that. You have to have a proper, racing level training for that. Actually someone who can average 20mph on their own in a 25 miles loop would probably do well in a 3rd cat race.

Another example that might reassure people: on a lot of sportives, 17mph is the average speed needed to obtain a gold brevet. A gold brevet is exactly what it implies: a reward for very good (best 10% or so) riders. Admittedly, sportives are long and most of the time (very) hilly but yet, 17mph is for the elite!

Hence my saying I can't manage 20mph.. and yes, I know how to time, and I mentioned the ones I know who do over 20mph are fit, thanks very much ;)

purplemoon

wafflycat said:
20mph average is achieved by a lot of cyclists (not me, alas..). Depends on route, bike, weather conditions...

I'm certainly glad to hear that! xx(

I probably average around half that speed on (flat!) roads at the moment, but then I've not yet covered any considerable distance to know how long I could keep it up. It took twice as long to do the forest red route but that's more of a MTB route with lots of twists, turns and obstacles ;)

wafflycat

Oh I am quite proud of being a ninja pootler, going from Ye Olde Tea Shoppe to Ye Olde Tea Shoppe... ;)

Nick1979

domtyler said:
RRing is a totally different story Nick, as I suspect you know. Fitness and speed is only a relatively small part of a total package of abilities that will allow you to participate with any level of success.

I completely agree Dom! But it was just to give an idea of what level of speed/fitness 20mph average is.
In a race your speed would actually be much faster because you spend most of your time (well, hopefully ;)) in a tight bunch, gaining 3-4 mph "for free".

elvisparsley

The thing about commuting by bike, you generally take the shortest route which isn't always the route where you can achieve high averages due to junctions and traffic lights etc, no matter how hard you try. The straight main roads where you can get into your stride are more likely to be used by drivers getting into their stride too

PaulB

Legendary Member
What a load of big puffs you lot are! Them cyclists in the world champs yesterday averaged better than 40 kilometres an hour over 250 odd kilometres and over 3,000 metres of climb. You should all be ashamed of yourselves:biggrin:

marinyork said:
What is the speed difference though for a hybrid? Some people seem to say a gigantic 2 or 3mph and some others seem to think it so small as to not be worth mentioning?

The other thing is I reckon a two or three thousand feet worth of climbs has got to be worth a fair bit in speed.

Depend on the hybrid IME, on my heavy hybrid on the same hilly route if I really work I can only get around 13.6mph whereas on my flat bar road bike (some call it a hybrid) I comfortably do around 14.5mph on average and when I've really worked I've got it up to around 16mph. However on the drops I'd comfortably do around 15.5mph and really working on that I get around 17mph.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Nick1979 said:
Soltydog, 22.5mph average is a very respectable 10 miles time trial speed, if the figure is accurate and on a 16 miles loop, you should definitively give your local TT/races a try!

Unfortunately it wasn't a loop, it was my commute to work with a gentle tail wind all the way ;) Can't remember what my time was coming home that day, but it will probably have been well under 20mph average on the return journey :biggrin:

Top Bottom