Can you recommend a charcoal BBQ ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
couple of bricks on the ground and a shelf from the cooker on top and job's a good 'un.

I'm being quite serious by the way

Would this fit in a kettle BBQ ? - a recipe that I really must try . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bbq_beer-can_chicken_80142
Easily. My parents (in Australia) started cooking the Christmas turkey in it to keep the house cooler.

You can also make pizza and bread in it, if you want to show off.

Don't put too much ash in the compost, and if you are using anything but wood, I'd put it in the bin instead. Not sure what chemicals are in the charcoal beads, so I'd just send them to landfill. It's not much waste either way.

Clean grill with a wire brush, if necessary, or just let the fire burn it off.

broadway

Veteran
Don't put too much ash in the compost, and if you are using anything but wood, I'd put it in the bin instead. Not sure what chemicals are in the charcoal beads, so I'd just send them to landfill. It's not much waste either way.

If was not willing to put the ashes in a compost bin, I wouldn't be willing to eat something from the BBQ.

If was not willing to put the ashes in a compost bin, I wouldn't be willing to eat something from the BBQ.
I wouldn't eat the ash myself :smile:

OK, I just checked a manufacturer's site, and they say it's ok, so it probably is. Honestly, I do it too.

However, ash is alkaline, so if you put too much in the compost, it will affect it's acidity. I'm not a nerd gardener, so I am not sure what it will mean. But I remember it does change the colours of hydrangeas. Oh, I know how to spell hydrangea!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If i am being really tight, I move the coals to a metal paint tin when I have finished cooking and put the lid on. It really cuts the air off quickly.
+3 on the Chimney starter, although I put sunflower oil on the paper to make sure it burns long enough.
+20 on the Weber Kettle - expensive but worth it.
I supplement our Kettle with the Weber Go-Anywhere when cooking for lots of people or if there is a Veggie. It's main use is when travelling though.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Does this make much of a difference? It seems to go cold pretty quickly when I shut the hatches. In fact, probably quicker than i could transfer the coals to another container.

No idea, but it adds to the danger levels, so keeps me occupied. I just use tongs to move over the best coals.

Debade

Über Member
Used the Weber for years, including last night. 1) no problem with beer can chicken. Put chicken in the middle of the grill. Place charcoal on both sides for indirect heat (1 'chimney' full of charcoal with 50% on one side and 50% on other). Make sure the openings in the grill (where the handles are) are over the charcoal, so you can add more charcoal if required. 2) For ribs/chicken pieces, I put the charcoal on one side and the ribs on the other. Put the opening of the lid over the meat. Do not use too much charcoal and about every 30 minutes, add 7-10 briquettes through the properly positioned handle opening. Cook for hours like that. Ribs longer than chicken. 3) Hamburgers/sausage, grill directly over coals with coals in the middle of the grill. Want to get hickory or other wood flavor, you can do that too. (When using indirect method, its helpful to place a foil pan under the meat to catch the drippings. It also helps to keep the charcoal to one side).

Go online and look for Weber cooking suggestions.

When cooking is finished, close the grill opening at bottom and top to save the charcoal for your next grilling. Add enough unused charcoal to the used to get started. I like starting my charcoal with a chimney. Actually bought one at Aldi in the States. One match and no chemicals since I use newspaper.

Getting the ashes out of the Weber is pretty easy, too. The sweeper (my name for it) is located at the bottom of the grill and ashes fall into a 'plate'. Just remove the plate and put the ashes in the trash. I save my empty charcoal bag for the ashes.

I am sure whichever you purchase, everyone will be happy :smile:

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Something else I have is Weber's Smokey Joe. It's a tiny kettle BBQ that will easily suffice 4 hungry souls. We take it camping as you can use t as a fire pit late into the night.

Wood ash is best in the compost bin. They are finding potash is actually overated and should only be used in small quantities. Too much does more bad than good. Changes the ph of the soil and any goodness leaches quickly. And given people tend to bury their roses in the stuff during the winter, when actually summer is when potash is useful for flowering plants. Wasted exercise mainly.

I only use traditional charcoal and never use paraffin fire staters. What are they for? They stink and are full of chemicals. Newspaper kindling and some hardwood is fine. I'm hungry now.

jayonabike