Can you recommend a charcoal BBQ ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi All,

BBQ season is almost upon us and I'm thinking for getting rid of our very shabby gas BBQ - to be replaced with a charcoal version.

Commonly available, are barrel-shaped BBQs and kettle BBQs - but which might you recommend ?

Should I go for something like this :

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3450839

Or would this be a better choice ?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6062152

When we have BBQs, it is usually for 4 of us, but it would be useful to have something which could cater for a few more - such as when @rich p , @CaadX , @Banjo , @Crackle , @srw, @Doseone and @Marmion etc., etc., etc., drop in on a ride.

I think that Di would prefer the appearance of a kettle BBQ, though I'm not sure that they can cook for quite as many people; personally, I've always had a thing for barrels, so that's what I'd prefer.

So, drum or kettle . . . . . . . or something else ?

kettle.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Is the Weber easy to keep clean ? An important question, 'cos it'll be my responsibility.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Yes, the ash is deposited into a can underneath.

Thank's for that info. - worth knowing.

Possibly a 'stupid' question, but does fresh charcoal have to be used for each cooking session ?

Is the waste ash something that be put on the compost pile ?

thecube

I have a kettle type one, about that size (57cm) I think and you can cook loads on it. In fact, I have a bbq due at my house on Monday for about 11 people (getting stressed by weather forecast) and have realised that its weather proof cover has perished somewhat and I am scared to see what the damage to the bbq is! But I've kept it outside with a cover over it for years and it survives (well at least it did until now). It was not mega expensive but not the cheapest either, it has served us well. The worst thing is cleaning the mess grill, but this will be the same with all bbq's.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Weber all he way. Get a little book explaining indirect cook g n a kettle BBQ. You'll never go back. Yum.

jayonabike