Can you recommend some solid budget wheels (700c)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
My wife took my rear wheel into the LBS for a spoke & true. They repaired the wheel, but the owner (who I trust) told her that I should be looking to replace them soon, as the braking surface is starting to go concave.

He said I might get another 1000 miles out of them, but to be honest, I could probably do with some new wheels, and I don't want to suffer an exploding rim! They're the unbranded wheels that came with my Carrera Virtuoso, and whilst they've been fairly solid, I could probably do with something better.

Money is tight, so I'm looking for something solid (I weigh 16 .5 stone) which won't break the bank. Any ideas?

Nearly there

Veteran
My current wheels Fulcrum 7 haven't failed me yet,but their are plenty of budget wheels from Shimano etc which will probably be just as robust.
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...road-wheels/fulcrum-racing-7-wheels-2013.html

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions fellas. It gave me a good basis to shop about. Ended up getting a Shimano R501 wheelset. Cheap, but hopefully cheerful. I've done 3000 miles on the ones that came with the bike, so even at this pricepoint I should hopefully see an improvement!

jay clock

Massive member
I was just about to suggest the R501s....

Cyclist33

My wife took my rear wheel into the LBS for a spoke & true. They repaired the wheel, but the owner (who I trust) told her that I should be looking to replace them soon, as the braking surface is starting to go concave.

He said I might get another 1000 miles out of them, but to be honest, I could probably do with some new wheels, and I don't want to suffer an exploding rim! They're the unbranded wheels that came with my Carrera Virtuoso, and whilst they've been fairly solid, I could probably do with something better.

Money is tight, so I'm looking for something solid (I weigh 16 .5 stone) which won't break the bank. Any ideas?

It's completely impossible to advise you if you don't tell us your budget. We're all different. For some people on here a set of £1500 carbon wheels is small change; for me, £200 is as much as I can ever afford.

Stu

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
I doubt I'd be looking for £1500 wheels for a £300 road bike, but thanks for your input. I'll makemy budget clearer next time.

Top Bottom