Can you recommend some solid budget wheels (700c)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
and the thread title is "...Solid BUDGET wheels..." which hardly covers £1500 carbon rims

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Ultimately, everyone seemed to understand my request and suggested a range of decent 'budget' wheels which really helped me make a choice. So cheers everyone!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have had Mavic Aksium's for some time and they have been very good. What attracted me to them was the good reviews and the cartridge wheel bearings as I cannot be bothered maintaining cup and cone bearings, I am sure it is easy enough but I do not want the hassle. I would rather if and when the cartridge bearings wear out take the wheels to work and have the old ones removed and new ones pressed in.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For some people on here a set of £1500 carbon wheels is small change; for me, £200 is as much as I can ever afford.
Oh, come off it.
Somebody who came on one of my winter forum rides was on a bike which weighed under 14 pounds. He said that it was in 'winter mode' and would be 2 pounds lighter when he put his 'expensive' wheels, pedals etc. on in the summer! I can't remember what his winter wheels were but they looked more expensive than anything I'd ever think of buying.

(A few miles further on, we rode over a speed bump and he snapped his carbon fibre seatpost, which cost ... (wait for it) ... over £500! :eek:)

400bhp

Guru
Somebody who came on one of my winter forum rides was on a bike which weighed under 14 pounds. He said that it was in 'winter mode' and would be 2 pounds lighter when he put his 'expensive' wheels, pedals etc. on in the summer! I can't remember what his winter wheels were but they looked more expensive than anything I'd ever think of buying.

(A few miles further on, we rode over a speed bump and he snapped his carbon fibre seatpost, which cost ... (wait for it) ... over £500! :eek:)

I remember @potsy moaning about his cracked seatpost now.:whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember @potsy moaning about his cracked seatpost now.:whistle:
£500+ to you, sir!

broken-carbon-fibre-seatpost.jpg

Take a look at the Rose website, they will build you a set of airlite rims on Tiagra 36 spoke hubs for under £90. I have had a couple of hanbuilt wheelsets from them now and would highly recommend them.
Holy thread resurrection Batman ^_^

Quick Q, do you know if the decals on these wheels are removable?

[EDIT] Not to worry, bit the bullet and ordered them :becool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom