Can you see a physio for free?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Had a knee problem since doing my first 100 km ride of the year a week and a half ago. If I stay off the bike it's fine, but if I try and do more than 5 miles, it starts to hurt again. Some people have recommended it might be better to go and see a physio rather than the GP. I don't know how physios work though...can you see one for free, say an NHS physio easily?

gaijintendo

Veteran
I can't speak for every region, but in Greater Glasgow and Clyde, you simply self refer; You fill in a form which is a picture of a body and you scribble where it hurts. IT seemed surprisingly efficient. I think I was seen within two weeks.

I saw one at my local surgery. On the NHS. She comes in on occasion. I was very uncomfortable with her manner. Very pervy. Not professional.
I'm sorry you had that experience. I would say absolutely it is not typical of NHS physios.

Behaviour like this should be reported. Even of you were not harmed or did not feel threatened, she could do serious harm to someone else more vulnerable.

(I recently realised that I was sexually assaulted by a gp many years ago and I regret it's impossible to make any sort of complaint)

Sorry @Welsh wheels, off topic. I've only seen NHS physios post fracture so have no direct experience to contribute. I agree with @Ian H, it's worth paying for if you can afford it and can't get it.

Julia9054

Guru
I have a shoulder problem resulting from a rotator cuff muscle tear from about 10 years ago. I paid privately to see a physio on the advice of my GP due to waiting times. Bloody useless - just gave me a really painful massage as she obviously felt she had to do something for her money. Went back to the GP and made a fuss so she referred me for NHS physio. I had to wait 6 months but he was brilliant. Barely touched me but assessed all my movements and gave me a series of exercises to build up the muscles which support the shoulder. I have been pain free for about 3 years - can't recommend him enough.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I tend to pay for a dedicated sports physio, as my experience of NHS ones is not great (they assume that my age means I am going to wind down on the cycling etc., and here they seem to have fewer resources).
That's the best option, but I'm not in a position to afford that at the moment.

screenman

Legendary Member
The NHS have in the past paid for me to see a private physio. The main gripe of my physio pal is that patients more often than not ignore his device.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had a really badly prolapsed disc in my lower back years ago. The neurosurgeon at Charing Cross Hospital insisted that surgery was the only solution but I resisted. He seemed pretty miffed. I had already been referred to an NHS physio by my GP and thought I'd continue. It took a while, but she fixed it eventually with sessions on a traction bed and a rigorous regime of back exercises. I've never had a problem since. I highly recommend them.

Top Bottom