Can you see a physio for free?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm the opposite, often getting told off overdoing remedial exercise. You can't win :laugh:
They do have a well-earned reputation for being slightly bossy. I think that they have to be quite assertive to get their patients to keep doing the exercises.

potsy

Rambler
Here it's GP referral which can take 2-3 months, my knee was already half healed by the time my appointment came through.

Next injury I bit the bullet and paid for a couple of private physio sessions, mixed opinions of the treatment on both occasions.

NHS was a 15 minute rush job and sent away with a couple of exercises to do.

Private was more massage and other treatments but not sure how much it helped.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I had to get a GP referral to see my local NHS physio. Luckily it didn’t take too long to get an appointment.

She was very good and my knee is now more or less cured. I felt she understood and analysed my problem accurately. The ‘treatment’ was largely teaching me the exercises I needed to do to fix my problem. It was up to me to actually put them into practice.

She also gave me acupuncture for pain relief which I found surprisingly effective.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's GP referral around here, not sure if matters are different elsewhere though.

NHS physio isn't great I'm afraid - not my words, but the words of Mrs ND's consultant at a follow up appointment after knee surgery when we raised concerns about the quality of her post-operative treatment.
The first 30 minute assessment appointment consisted of a few measurements, a poorly photocopied sheet with some exercises to do and a 30 second demonstration - and was over and done in 15 minutes.
Every other session started late yet finished early and there was an overwhelming attitude of like it or lump it.
Fortunately we were in a position to pay for a private physio and the difference was astounding - as was the rate of recovery.

Good luck with your treatment.

vickster

Legendary Member
See your GP. However, after only a week it’s very unlikely they’ll refer you. Stay off the bike if that’s the issue. Try ice (bag of peas wrapped in a tea towel), voltaren gel massaged into sore area (assuming you don’t have stomach issues) or an oral anti inflammatory. That’s likely to be exactly what the doctor tells you.

What bit actually hurts?)

All NHS physios aren’t equal (as with any medical practitioner) but you can’t choose who you see. If you find a private one who doesn’t suit you can always change. For me, consistency is crucial and I don’t know if that’s guaranteed on the NHS, at least within large hospitals

Last edited:
NHS physio can be hit and miss.
You have to think of the relative success criteria;-
Person falls spains ankle - NHS physio helps them walk again
Person who can walk normally - but gets problems riding a bike ????

I am a big fan of the NHS - but if I want to get back on the bike quickly I pay and go private - it costs - but I can generally get in within a week - and be cured in 3
I had a major hip hamstring problem which took 3 years of nhs treatment. The problem boiled down to NHS physio's didn't do dry needling - so i needed to see a surgeon once that was done things picked up pretty quickly.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm quite lucky at the moment. Daughter #3's feller is a Sports Therapist (and a semi-pro rugbyist).

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
NHS physio can be hit and miss.
You have to think of the relative success criteria;-
Person falls spains ankle - NHS physio helps them walk again
Person who can walk normally - but gets problems riding a bike ????

I am a big fan of the NHS - but if I want to get back on the bike quickly I pay and go private - it costs - but I can generally get in within a week - and be cured in 3
I had a major hip hamstring problem which took 3 years of nhs treatment. The problem boiled down to NHS physio's didn't do dry needling - so i needed to see a surgeon once that was done things picked up pretty quickly.
Aye, that's the issue. No problems walking but just issues riding. Worried the GP might not know how to help or just laugh and say not to cycle for six months or something.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
See your GP. However, after only a week it’s very unlikely they’ll refer you. Stay off the bike if that’s the issue. Try ice (bag of peas wrapped in a tea towel), voltaren gel massaged into sore area (assuming you don’t have stomach issues) or an oral anti inflammatory. That’s likely to be exactly what the doctor tells you.

What bit actually hurts?)

All NHS physios aren’t equal (as with any medical practitioner) but you can’t choose who you see. If you find a private one who doesn’t suit you can always change. For me, consistency is crucial and I don’t know if that’s guaranteed on the NHS, at least within large hospitals
Difficult to describe but seems to be the top of my knee. I should add the knee isn't swollen.

Aye, that's the issue. No problems walking but just issues riding. Worried the GP might not know how to help or just laugh and say not to cycle for six months or something.

That's my point. One GP kept saying to put my feet up, eventually for 12 weeks. The GP in the next office said I should have been in physio after 2 weeks and referred me to the brilliant centre at Badsley Moor Lane at Rotherham.

Whoever you see, tell them cycling is your passion and central to your life and health.

Top Bottom