Can you stand on one leg for at least 10 seconds?

Can you stand on one leg for at least 10 seconds?

• No

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Yes, but it’s a struggle

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I can easily manage 30 seconds

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • No problemo

Votes: 27 45.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Yes, something worked on in both yoga classes and dance classes that I've attended over the years. Very occasionally it can be a tricky for some reason but mostly I can do it no trouble at all, even on my damaged foot.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Easy peasy - can also do 20 seconds a side eyes shut although it gets a bit wobbly.

Years ago I had to undertake a series of balance, reflex and spatial position tests re MND (fortunately all clear after loads of other tests) and one was the same excersize standing on the ball of one foot (eyes open) . Very, very hard - the test wasn't so much how long you could but more about the compensatory actions that your body attempts to make to stabilise yourself. 10 seconds and I was done on both sides.

D

Deleted member 1258

It's something we work on in my Pilates class - sometimes it's easier than others. Seeing other people wobbling doesn't help so I try not to look at anyone else.

Yes, we do standing on one leg at yoga, a previous yoga teacher was a fan of the t balance.

Last edited by a moderator:

CXRAndy

Guru
These balance and mobility exercises are good markers for overall longterm health. Sitting down on your bum on the floor and getting up without using hands and knees is also a good mobility and strength indication.

I like practicing Indian squat, regularly as well as gym weighted squats.

Gwylan

Veteran
"which concluded that an inability to balance was associated with an almost twofold increase in risk of death"

Strange, I'd always thought that my risk of death - like everybody else's - was 100%.

People should need a licence to deal with numbers.

Maybe we could have a new profession. Authorised number commissioner.
Licenced percentage issuer
Approved number relevance authority

Top Bottom