Can you use a mountain bike on a turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
Is it advisable to use a moutain bike on a TacX turbo trainer or are the wheel diameters too different?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It should work fine! The turbo trainer manufacturers would really be shooting themselves in the foot if they limited the usage to road bikes over something so simple!

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I used to train on my mtb on the turbo, it's all good!

In fact I might have a tac x branded trainer tyre still in good nick if you're in the market?

Sterba

Über Member
As others have mentioned, your MTB tyre will be very tiresome on a turbo trainer, because of the noise it will generate. Its knobbly tread will also wear from being pressed against the roller. Buy a special turbo trainer tyre.

dubya

What about a 29'r?

KierenT

Regular
I'm running a 29'er on an Elite hydro trainer. Had to change the rear from a RacingRalph to a hybrid, because of severe rubbing on the trainer frame. A relatively smooth tyre works much better on the roller, with zero slippage.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Some turbos have a different pivot linkage point for different wheel sizes, such as the Elite Chronos.

I ran mine with an XC bike with a city jet. Noisy bastard it was too. Virtually silent on a Mavic 700x23

Top Bottom