Canal boat holidays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's expensive, but a lot of fun. Don't rule out the canals of Yorkshire or even the West Midlands - they do slice through towns, but oftentimes the way they do it is quietly enlightening

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Smaller boats are a lot more fun then a larger one. spend 3 weeks on a 20ft boat before now. bliss just wandering up and down the canals (locks are a pain tho) went to tonnes of rally's.
always said to the missus that when we can afford it we're getting a narrowboat.

It's also worth pointing out that if your boat has slatted windows swans may well steal your custard cremes.

Ducks have no sense of propriety either....

Having breakfast and could not see what my wife was finding so funny, then looked over my shoulder to find this chap eying up the toast!

IMG_3080.jpg

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Ducks have no sense of propriety either....

Having breakfast and could not see what my wife was finding so funny, then looked over my shoulder to find this chap eying up the toast!

IMG_3080.jpg

That i believe is a female mallard.
are you sure she was after the toast? :biggrin:

and yes, swans suck. don't sit on the deck of your narrowboat with any food item you don't want to loose to an angry swan.

Peteaud

Veteran
Been on a few.

Black prince are very good, but you do pay for it. I went with them on the Oxford canal so very few locks.

What part of the network did you want to do.

Ive done most of the central parts, braunston etc and the llangollen.

Would go again as it really is good fun.

rollinstok

I lived on a narrowboat for 3 years. The resident swans used to tap on the boat for food. When the canal froze the swans were able to walk up and tap the window when it was time for dinner, quite surreal the first time they did this.
Spoke to a fair few holidaying boaters and every one of them loved it, many would return again and a couple I met ended up selling the house to live on a boat.

fatblokish

Guru
Went on a 68 foot boat last May with SWMBO. Brilliant fun along the Kennet and Avon from Bath (where we live) to Devizes and back. Friends and family turned up for the odd night here and there, and we even took Swmbo's workmates home as they live near the canal.

Tips, take a granny trolley or bike to carry supplies to/from the boat; beer is heavy.
Go slow
Ensure the tillerman has a stool; standing up for hours at a time is curiously wearing.

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
Not an answer to your question but we seriously looked at them last year but they are soooooooo expensive. If you go in a larger group e.g. 8 people it can work out OK but I'm not one for sharing 1 bog with 7 others and I can't justify the cost for just the 2 of us..so for us it's:sad:.

Think it's just going to be the two of us, and we're planning it for next summer, so plenty of time to save / pay up. Looks like it'll come in around £800-£1000 for a week, which isn't great, but it's £50 a month each for the next year or so

Having spent many weeks on sailing holidays/deliveries one has to be on very good turns with your fellow companions if not you'll never go again.

Just me and the GF, she knows her place ^_^

Love them...

We have just got back from the Kennett and Avon where we hired a tiny boat called "My Newt"... and she was!

Superb fun and an excellent change from the bigger ones we have hired before.

The Kennet and Avon is also a good taster as it has few locks, lots of good pubs and places to stop off

Otherwise the cost can be dramatically cut with "Tesco Clubcard" points as many of the main companies accept these.... basically you pay £10 and get £30 vouchers that can be used for the hire fees.

Yeah, we started shopping in Tesco for that very reason! Not got many points mind you, but a saving's a saving.

yes several times but not for a few years. Started early enough to remember when parts of the network were filled in or derelict and finished when those same parets were back in service.

Expensive, cramped, cold (at night early morning) and great fun.

Don't mind the cold -my folks had a caravan for a few years, so know what to expect. Most of the hires seem to include all fuel / gas, and appears to be largely unlimited on at least some

it's expensive, but a lot of fun. Don't rule out the canals of Yorkshire or even the West Midlands - they do slice through towns, but oftentimes the way they do it is quietly enlightening

Nor ruling out anywhere, but the more northern the better, as neither of us drive, and only 1 of us has a bike
Yes it is expensive, but great fun. It is basically a floating caravan, so not much privacy.

As Norm says you need at least 3 people. 1 to drive and 2 to park moor the boat and navigate the locks. They will need to be confident in jumping from a moving boat onto the bank and back again, and strong enough to pull the ropes

Gonna be just us 2, and the GF will be terrified of that sort of stuff. I'll just need to MTFU

Been on a few.

Black prince are very good, but you do pay for it. I went with them on the Oxford canal so very few locks.

What part of the network did you want to do.

Ive done most of the central parts, braunston etc and the llangollen.

Would go again as it really is good fun.

Llangollen is proper scary!

The aqueduct with 2 inches of ancient iron between you and certain death is invigorating!

882.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I recommend Llangollen for a first go, starting from somewhere on the Trent and Mersey. Think we went from Middlewich first time. I'd go from Chirk 1st time if I had my time again.

Watch out on any route for the frequency of locks, can be hard work with only two of you whilst you learn the ropes.

Top Bottom