Canal boat holidays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sunnyjim

Been on several since 1975 - great fun, but maybe best suited for group of more than 2 and of a social disposition. A week on a boat can cause tensions even between old friends, but you can always be spread out over a couple of locks or at opposites ends of a 70 ft boat, and when everyone has a job to do, there isn't time for arguments.
TBH I don't think I'd do it as a couple unless both are already canal/sailing/think getting wet mucky tired is fun types.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ducks have no sense of propriety either....

Having breakfast and could not see what my wife was finding so funny, then looked over my shoulder to find this chap eying up the toast!

IMG_3080.jpg

hello my name is quackers , and i like toast

Pigo

I've just sat & put my Mum & Dads 40ft Narrowboat up for sale for them as they now find it difficult to do anything other than short trips - so how about having your own one!?!
If not then save the money & do it - you will love it!
Pick a canal with plenty of locks to add interest. :smile:

Norm

I've just sat & put my Mum & Dads 40ft Narrowboat up for sale for them as they now find it difficult to do anything other than short trips - so how about having your own one!?!
Well? You can't leave it like that! Where is it and how much? :thumbsup:

Norm

When I was on a canal boat with an ex and some friends I said that I would like a 60-70' long boat. Fate will determine if there is one with my name on it.

Then at that moment this one came past, with my name on it!:ohmy:
And, just to complete the coincidence, that's one of the Viking Afloat's fleet, which was the company I mentioned in my previous post. :thumbsup:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We went with Anglo-Welsh and had a brilliant time. I don't think you could have a more relaxing holiday - enough needs doing that you can't get bored, but nothing happens quickly and there's nothing urgent or important from start to finish. It's not cheap, but it's not that expensive, compared to other forms of holidaying (other than, say, camping), and I can't remember a holiday I've just plain enjoyed more.

Norm

I don't think you could have a more relaxing holiday - enough needs doing that you can't get bored, but nothing happens quickly and there's nothing urgent or important from start to finish.
This was also the huge benefit for me. There was enough to do that you were always thinking of something but, because it was so different to the usual BS and mundanities of life, it was enough to distract you from worrying about work or money or parents' health or cancelling the milk, but there was nothing to replace that stuff with.

It was almost like meditation, filling your mind with nothing to push out all the rubbish and daily distractions.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
We've used Wyvern in Leighton Buzzard (long weekend, five of us IIRC) and Canalways in Ireland (a week, just the two of us). Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Handy Hint.
Irish canals are quite deep and surprisingly cold. DAMHIKT.
*sploosh*

Bexmay

Regular
It was almost like meditation, filling your mind with nothing to push out all the rubbish and daily distractions.

Going back to civilisation can be the only problem ;)

My most recent long journey was towing a 60ft boat with my little 40ft boat from Gloucester up to Nantwich. Took me and my Dad (he runs a narrowboat servicing company) just over three weeks. It was magical but when you come back to dry land its weird. You find yourself nodding hellos at people in the street and wondering why your swaying stood in the supermarket. Fun though. :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I spent a weekend on a canal boat with a GF and her family. The realtionship ended though when she barfed on me at a party.

Here's how to decide if a canal boat holiday is for you: think of the other members of the crew then imagine yourself spending two weeks in your front room with them, with two gas rings for cooking and a plastic bucket behind a flimsy wood partition as toilet. If you think you can manage that, you'll LOVE canal boating.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Here's how to decide if a canal boat holiday is for you: think of the other members of the crew then imagine yourself spending two weeks in your front room with them, with two gas rings for cooking and a plastic bucket behind a flimsy wood partition as toilet. If you think you can manage that, you'll LOVE canal boating.
I have only done day trips with groups of friends. Weekend boating was just for two.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Canals are another world. people are friendly and wave at you and smile. plus the pace is so slow its wonderfully relaxing.
when you finally get back to real life it appears that all cars are travelling at 100mph and everybody is an ignorant sod with a glum face.
pete

I spent a weekend on a canal boat with a GF and her family. The realtionship ended though when she barfed on me at a party.

The answer to most of those problems is simple!

pub-main4.jpg

Having said that most now have proper loos, showers and reasonable cookers.

Top Bottom