Candidates - **** bike stuff marketing selling lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah yes - coming soon, to relieve busy folks of watching the seasons for their mollycoddled tyres, tyres on a subscription plan.
Tho tis odd that folks zapping around in cars at close to 100mph don't fit new tyres once they've scoffed all the easter eggs.

We have summer and winter tyres for cars here. In fact I think it's a legal requirement to change them. As I din't own a car I have no idea, but people do tend do change them all around the same week or so.

Judging by the driving standards thereafter there is a strong superstition that they make the driver invincible.

I also notice Schwalbe are trying to persuade people to buy their new airless tyres which can only be fitted at 'licenced' dealerships.

I have to admit, I think Ebikes are mainly an attempt to make bikes so complex the big companies can control repairs and spares.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Ah yes - coming soon, to relieve busy folks of watching the seasons for their mollycoddled tyres, tyres on a subscription plan.
Tho tis odd that folks zapping around in cars at close to 100mph don't fit new tyres once they've scoffed all the easter eggs.

A couple of people at work religiously switch between winter / summer tyres on their cars and vice versa every six months and then talk loudly about the benfits when it gets a bit chilly. I use the same tyres all year round and have yet to have a problem. Maybe the real issue isn't the tyres?

Take your cycling to the next level with red valve caps...

I confess that I bought some green valve caps from the interweb to match my bikes colour scheme. Does that make me a bad person? :laugh:

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
CO2 where every second counts

Having driven in rural Germany in December I can personally vouch for the advantages of winter tyres!

I've unsubscribed to most of those mailing lists. But that only solves half the problem - the other half is targeted advertising based on the content I'm consuming.

I feel sorry for newbies getting involved and getting bombarded with "marketing" making the whole riding a bike thing a very expensive and expert business.

I feel sorry for newbies getting involved and getting bombarded with "marketing" making the whole riding a bike thing a very expensive and expert business

getting bombarded with "marketing" emails doesn't make cycling expensive, falling for them is a different matter entirely
True, but when you're starting out you may not know if you're getting good advice or "falling" for a line.

I think it's a sign of the times that there are a lot of people who think that to start a new activity, be that cycling or going to the gym, or whatever, they have to have "all the gear". More often than not that gear has to be the "best". and what the best is is informed by what they see.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I can't see a problem. When I want a thing I go onto the interwebs, find it and buy it. Maybe from Wiggle, SJS, CRC etc.

When I don't want a thing I don't do these things.

If they send me emails other than transaction related ones I click unsubscribe and they stop sending them.

Not even the slightest problem.
tis a thread about marketing flannel/shoot

which is a problem if it restricts supply of simple dependable stuff.

but which can also, doncha know, be funny.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think it's a sign of the times that there are a lot of people who think that to start a new activity, be that cycling or going to the gym, or whatever, they have to have "all the gear". More often than not that gear has to be the "best". and what the best is is informed by what they see.

You don't have to search the CC forums very hard to see this phenomena. Every other posting in some sections will be from some rookie cyclist who has cut & pasted the retailer links to 3 or 4 fairly expensive bikes and asks "which one should I buy"?
I take a look at most of the offerings being considered at what prices - and quickly conclude that I wouldn't actually buy any of them, especially if all I want to do is get to work on it or ride a couple of miles down the shops. The term "fools and their money" often comes to mind, and I'm content to let muppets waste their dosh on bikes and gear that will get used about half a dozen times at most, whilst I will just carry on riding all my old £25 secondhand jobs that don't incorporate any of the latest "improvements" in bike design, yet strangely still seem to manage to get me from A to B, just like they had done for previous owners over the last 20/30/40 years. People like me are the marketing men's worst nightmare, the BS just doesn't work on us.

Top Bottom