Candidates - **** bike stuff marketing selling lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I quite like how rear sprockets are getting bigger and bigger and being touted as just what you need to get you up the steep hills with a 1x chainring, where a triple crankset and regular 8 speed casette would do just fine. Don't know what the current marketing guff is for that though.

Vertical compliance / lateral stiffness is another favourite... maybe I'm just an insensitive lummox and don't put out enough watts to care, but I've never found this an issue on any frame I've ridden, ever.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's all a load of cobblers. The most gears I've got on anything is 3 x 7, with 48/38/28 on the front and 13-30 on the back. I actually prefer 3 x 6, with 14-28 on the back, because I never use the 48 x 13 combo anyway - it's just a wasted gear.
On my hack bikes which don't normally go further than 10 miles from home, I've ditched the front mechs altogether for simplicity, and run 38T front through to 14-28 6 speed on the back. They do the job fine.
Agree with all the nonsense about frame stiffness. None of my frames are so flexible they are unrideable, or so stiff they have no give whatsoever in them. The most flexible is actually the old cheapo 80's 3-speed "catalogue bike" I was given, which feels rather flimsy TBH - not what you'd expect on a Roadster. However, all it gets used for is riding to and from the pub/shops in a sedate manner and I'm not going to be out of the saddle putting down massive power on it - so the fact the frame feels a bit wobbly doesn't matter.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There are plenty on here who argue the case for having a whole separate winter bike, so having different tyres for summer and winter isn't such a stretch. It's not something I do but it doesn't strike me as an entirely silly idea.

Eons ago when my only bike was a Giant TCR1, I had summer and winter tyres.
In summer I ran 23mm Lightweight Michelin pro-race with latex tubes and in the winter 25mm Bontys hardcases or some other heavier/tougher ‘punct*re’ resistant tyres.
Winter brings more debris in the road, more riding in the dark with less visibility of potholes and is even more miserable changing a flat. It also saved the expensive Pro-race from wearing and being cut to pieces.

Now I have bicycles for all occasions....

Last edited:
I used to filter all the advertising into one folder but I realized I never read it so I just unsubscribed from the lot. If a few chats I've had with bike shop owners are anything to go by, sales are not great at the moment, so anything that boosts that is no surprise.

mustang1

Guru
What happened to all that "vertically compliant laterally stiff" from a few years ago?

Your bike is too expensive for your laggard legs!
So.. it's my money and I will spend it on what I like you poor miserable sods!

This will saves be 2 Watts!
Yeah, but at 200kmph.
That's right, 2 Watts!

My tyres have 1000 tpi. Woohoo!
We yeah but you have 5 layers of 200 tpi each and only the outter layer counts. My tyres has 3 layers and the outter layer is 250tpi for example.
Yeah but I have ONE THOUSAND TPI. WOOHOO!

My wider 40mm tyres have low rolling resistance compared to your thin 25mm tyres. I have compared both tyres at 40psi for consistency.
Yeah but no one runs 25mm at 40psi so your experiment is not quite correct.
Yeah but I am a science person so you do the maths.
I did do the maths and your talking rubbish.
I am Zen master. I done 40psi. I am the best.
What?

Steel frames are best if you look after them.
Yeah but carbon frames are best even if you don't look after them.
Well all I need is frame saver, some touch up paint, dry it up after every rain ride, and store it in a heated shed.
Yeah but I don't have to do any of that on a carbon bike.
STEEL IS REAL. STEEL IS REAL.
Just because you chant that all day long does not make it right.
STEEL IS REAL. STEEL IS REAL

I bought another bike and need to hide it from my wife. Any suggestions?
You have problems with your wife. You need to look at your relationship with her.
Hey, I just want some advise where to hide my bike.
I have no secrets from my wife. You have relationship problems. You need to see a councillor.

We repeat a lot of rubbish on this forum.
No we don't.
Yes we do.
No we don't.
Yes we do.
No we don't.
Yes we do.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Loads were taken in by that 6 speed marketing guff like @SkipdiverJohn . You weren't the only one fooled.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE="roadrash, post: 5610516, member: 17226", just what it is that makes them a muppet for spending their own money how ever they like.[/QUOTE]

If you're starting out at any activity, common sense says you buy something cheap and cheerful first time round - to see if you like it and are going to stick at it. No-one buys a brand new car full of the latest gadgets as soon as they've passed their test. They get a cheap old banger and drive that around for a while to build up some experience and decide if they are going to be a long-term motorist. Then they tend to buy newer, more expensive vehicles later on. Same with bikes.
I know from the condition of a couple of my secondhand purchases, that somebody went out and splashed the cash in a fit of enthusiasm, then hardly rode the thing once they actually owned it. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get hold of a virtually mint Reynolds 531 Hybrid still shod on it's original tyres after 30 years, for £20! Great bargain for me, but a massive waste of money for the original buyer, who clearly didn't stick with cycling, but instead stuck their bike in the shed after probably no more than a dozen rides and forgot all about it. It's not the only secondhand one I've picked up in virtually new condition either, although it would have been the most expensive example new.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
If you spend more than me then you're an profligate idiot and if spend less you're a damn peasant.

If a shop sells things you can't afford it's there fault and if the stop selling things you want but instead stock what makes them money then they deserve to go bust.

If we just sticky these two things at the top of every section then you will have loads more to ride your bikes instead of wasting all this time making yourself bitter and twisted.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you spend more than me then you're an profligate idiot and if spend less you're a damn peasant.

If a shop sells things you can't afford it's there fault and if the stop selling things you want but instead stock what makes them money then they deserve to go bust.

If we just sticky these two things at the top of every section then you will have loads more to ride your bikes instead of wasting all this time making yourself bitter and twisted.
But their bikes are so old and ugly, maybe they don’t want or can’t bear to :B) Cos Cycling’s not the same as it was when they were kids in the 50s

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
and if the stop selling things you want but instead stock what makes them money then they deserve to go bust.
Well I certainly never said that. Not sure anyone else did.
Tis true though that chainreaction's emails and calls to churn my bits (oo missus) do strike me as rather desperate.

Will try to return to thread anon with more amusing marketing waffle aimed at the wonderful simplicity of cycling.

Oh by the way I did use the chain reaction voucher but did reduce the order/downspec on a component when I noted a pretty big difference in some prices compared to Rose. So a few other bits went into the Rose wishlist.

Rose also send very little piffle. Usually proper offers. And tend to wish me happy birthday every year with a voucher which covers postage.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Top Bottom