Cane Creek S-3 headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have spent the last few days giving K's Kona Lava Dome it's irregular annual service, there was a lot to do, new chain and cassette, cables throughout, brake blocks and a thorough clean. I thought I'd it finished and then noticed that the rear rim had cracked around two of the spoke holes. The wheels, which came from my bike when I upgraded had Mavic Ceramic rims which I discovered now retail for £89!! So I rimswapped a non ceramic 717 using the same spokes. I also discovered that the headset was shot. I remember fitting a cheap headset as a stop gap two years ago so it's done OK considering the mileage and lack of maintenance it's had. I replaced it with a Cane Creek S-3 and I have to say it really is a lovely peice of kit, easily the same quality of some of the super posh headsets I've encountered in the past like Syncros which retailed for close to a hundred pounds. I reckon it's the equal of the Hope unit I have on my mountain bike. Great set of replaceable bearings, proper seals, beautiful black (they also do silver) anodised finish, plenty of nice lightweight plastic (!) spacers included and at a SRP of £30 it's quite amazing value for money.

Highly recommended.

Top Bottom