Cannondale Creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I bought a Cannondale Synapse 105 Alloy 5 in the summer, and after 80 miles or so on it my pedal was screwed up inside the Gossamer FSA drive side crank.

So went to Evans Cycles and ordered a new crankset, this time their Shimano 105, which they fitted, along with a BB30 Shimano adapter bought off the net for about £25, plus some new pedals (standard flat ones).

Went for my first ride, about 6 miles in got some creaking noises from when I pedalled drive side.

So took into Evans, few days later got a call to pick up, rode about 2 miles and creaks started again.

Took back, picked up a second time, got home no creak! Went for a ride day later and about 5 miles in creaks came back.

Back to Evans who rang yesterday for pick up, and within 2 miles of leaving, got creaking.

Now the guy on the phone from Evans saying they havent got a clue what is causing the creak, and not a lot they can do about it?!!?

So I have a bike which is meant to be decent, which creaks and groans like my gran and I have absolutely no idea what to do about it.

Only creaks when I pedal, doesn't when I lift bike and spin crank. Seems to happen on drive side rather than other side.

Any advice?

oliver

similar problem with my allez - the sora crank seemed to creak whatever i did! - then suddenly just like it started the creak disappeared - still not to reappear 2 years and 2000 miles down the road!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Try taking the seastpost out cleaning the post and inside the tube then smear with clean grease before reassembling. My Scott needs this every few months or it starts creaking in time with peddalling.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Try taking the seastpost out cleaning the post and inside the tube then smear with clean grease before reassembling. My Scott needs this every few months or it starts creaking in time with peddalling.

Gave it a go but no change. Still happens when Im standing on pedals also so not on seat.

Did a youtube video of it, please excuse the dodgy cycle handling, I'm far from good with 2 hands on the bars, let alone 1 holding an iphone...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhQmrwu12VA

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I haven't any spares to try, but I did start thinking it was them. They were new on when I got the crankset fitted but they haven't been looked at by Evans.

Think I need to take it up to them to try different set.

If it was the adapter, do you think the creak would happen from both sides?

musa

Über Member
Try giving the pedal threads some grease. Had a similar issue. Didn't solve it but tighten your screws. So your seat post saddle etc. grease what u can

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Sounds like the bottom bracket is either buggered or the threads haven't been greased.

The threads on the pedals? Funny two of you above saying same thing. What grease do you recommend? I heard on aluminum bikes anti-seize was better than grease?

Popping into Evans tomorrow, they said they will put on some spare test pedals I can ride on for a couple of hours and see if the creaking happens with different pedals.

Though if its a lack of grease, that wont solve anything.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I didn't have speakers to hear the sound on the video, it was a general comment re. check the pedals as a possible source of creaking/clicking.

amaferanga

Veteran
If the BB and crankset was fitted by a trained monkey they may not have put grease everywhere that's needed on the BB. I'm not familiar with Shimano stuff or BB30, but I know with my SRAM gxp that you need to apply grease to the threads, bearings (the seals are easily removable) and even one bit of the crank spindle. I had annoying creaks before I realised this. I use a lithium grease.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Top Bottom