Cannondale Creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's wrong with BB30 then?
Just Google BB30 creaks, or something similar and read away, but in a nutshell there's ones school of thought that blames a batch of dry bearings last year for the problem, there's another one that blames the tolerances BB30 works too, and there's my theory that BB30 was the answer to a problem that simply never existed.
What's this about Cannondale frames being known for creaks?!! Is this just Alu ones, we're talking about here?
Not a clue, but certainly not my alu one. It only ever creaked, groaned and moaned when it was be-decked with a BB30 bottom end, ever since I converted it it has been the perfect machine it should always have been.

U

User6179

Must admit I have heard and read a lot about the BB30's problem too.
Enough to convince me not to buy a bike with BB30.

The new bb30 standard I think is exactly the same as shimano press-fit but instead of 25mm axle its 30mm, they shouldnt have any problems now with the press-fit30 as the bearings are in a nylon cup which would lead me to believe that was the problem with original bb309 no nylon cups)

In my limited experience it doesn't sound like pedals. I had a strange clicking sound on SPDs before, took the threads (of the pedals) out with a Shimano pedal removing tool, regreased everything and it never came back.

I too think it's bottom bracket related and if you've used some sort of adaptor then perhaps this is the problem.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Its the BB30 bearing, certain on that, just had the exact same issue myself, the seals on the bearings are not water tight, over a period of time water and grit gets in them.

02GF74

Über Member
... it is easy to pop the seal out - use a tiny jeweller's screwdriver inserted between edge of seal and the race. the seal is a steel ring coated wuth rubber/plastic - it is unlikely you will damage it unless you are hamfisted.

pack the bearings completely full with grease, push the seal back on pressing down so it is fully seated and see how you get on.

02GF74

Über Member
any update on this?

... it is easy to pop the seal out - use a tiny jeweller's screwdriver inserted between edge of seal and the race. the seal is a steel ring coated wuth rubber/plastic - it is unlikely you will damage it unless you are hamfisted.

pack the bearings completely full with grease, push the seal back on pressing down so it is fully seated and see how you get on.
I did that myself numerous times myself when I had BB30 issues and before I scrapped BB30 in favour of HTII.

Agreed it's really simple to do, but very annoying after the umpteenth time :cursing:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some of the creak can be from the bearing cartridge moving inside the BB shell - minute really minute, but enough for a squeak.

Smokeysmoo is our man on BB30. ^_^

I've experienced cartridge bearings having a little play in hubs, usually down to bearing wear, but even had it in newly installed hubs with pre-load sorted. If bearing runs smooth, and then it's OK, but in the BB there are big stresses going through = noise.

I think BB30 is a huge back step as you don't want bearing mounts built into frames in highly stressed areas - headsets OK, but not BB's.

Even the old square taper cartridge bearings could knock - if they came slightly loose, you'd get a knock, and that was a whole unit screwed in one side tight, and a lock 'cup' to hold it, but it's rare.

Campag and Shimano aren't really moving on from the external bearing units - there is a big pointer here :hello: - don't fix what isn't broke.

Square taper cartridge stuff is still really good for low end stuff, or those of us with higher end old kit. I have a traditional old Dura Ace BB in perfect condition, but replaced it with a cartridge Dura Ace BB when they came available (£££££). I've never done anything other than remove and refit the unit, as you can't service them. Same story with an Ultegra sealed unit. Remove and refit once in a while !

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I will be keeping an eye on this for a resolution. I have the same experience when building up a bike about 4 years ago. I never reached a solution and have since used all relevant parts in other builds without any problem, the frame went to the tip !

Campag and Shimano aren't really moving on from the external bearing units - there is a big pointer here :hello: - don't fix what isn't broke.
Not seen anything on Campag, (yet), but Shimano have now gone inboard with their own bearings on some bikes, although it's not BB30.

My mates Scott F01L has them. I think they are still using standard HTII cranks, (although not 100% on that), but the bearings are now definitely press fitted in the shell :sad:

That said he's not had any issues with it on his Scott, but it's still completely unnecessary IMO.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shimano have responded, but I'm yet to be convinced by any.

Old skool here but all my bikes are Square Taper sealed BB's - The DA & Ultegra BB's are silky smooth from over 10 years. The fixed has had a BB for 3.5 years, used every day - all weathers and it's a basic Shimano BB, the MTB - still eats them every 2 years for some reason (Mud ?) £15 occasionally is no big deal. No wear on the frame !

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
My Secteur used to creak like hell when I pedalled and it absolutely done my head in. I tried tightening everything, had the cranks off and the BB etc. Then one day on the way home I raised the seat post by about 1mm, and re-tightened the seat clamp. The creak totally went which amazed me as I did not understand it, as I had tightened this up before. But I am not complaining as I had suffered it for nearly 6 months.

Top Bottom