Cannondale R500 frame with damage to seat stay -is it rideable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve T

Veteran
My friend managed to get his chain and rear mech wrapped up and around his cassette and dented the seat stay at the back. He's decided not to ride the bike and I've stripped it for parts for my CAAD 4 but I wondered if anyone has experience of damaged alu frames and have attached some pictures for some advice?

The frame is in lovely condition and I was only admiring it the day before the mishap,it hasn't altered the shape but looks quite bad on the inner side. Any thoughts please?

sha
IMG_3544.JPG
IMG_3545.JPG
IMG_3546.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG
IMG_3544.JPG

Yes. If you can straighten the drop-outs, then the dentin the frame is neither here nor there.

I used to destroy a lot of frames for guarantee replacement purposes and we always had to saw out the BB and show the photo to the distributor. Often I would just remove the seat stays and see if I could still sit on the bike. No problema. On steel and alu bikes we used to bounce hard and then it would bend in the chainstays. With a carbon bike you could not break it that way at all, We had one in the shop for close to a year and many customers tried to bounce it out of existence.

Ride away, provided you don't do the crab walk.

OP
OP
S

Steve T

Veteran
Yes. If you can straighten the drop-outs, then the dentin the frame is neither here nor there.

I used to destroy a lot of frames for guarantee replacement purposes and we always had to saw out the aBB and show the photo to the distributor. Often I would just remove the seat stays and see if I could still sit on the bike. No problema. On steel and alu bikes we used to bounce hard and then it would bend in the chainstays. With a carbon bike you could not break it that way at all, We had one in the shop for close to a year and many customers tried to bounce it out of existence.

Ride away, provided you don't do the crab walk.
The drop outs are actually straight and obviously the rear hanger did its job and was destroyed - when I looked at it I thought it had sheared off but its just the Cannondale design. thanks

Top Bottom