cannondale synapse 2020 freehub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cheshirerob

Evening All,

Looking for some advice please, long story short, when I was last cycling I heard some grinding and knocking sounds, located the noises from the bearing inside the freehub.
Ive stripped the wheel down tonight, but the only option to remove the freehub is from the non drive side, I can see a splined or torx style fitting that is approx 14mm, however to even access this with a tool the non drive side bearing will have to be removed.

Is this the correct method?

I thought with my bike being common there would be lots of people who will have performed this job. The hub is a formula rxc 400 so assume formula freehub?

Cheers
Rob

weareHKR

I've not experienced these particular hubs personally, however, I have heard many a horror story about them.
I believe they are unbranded mainly found on low end bicycles & are very unreliable, I guess you would be far better of purchasing a new complete hub &/or a new wheel with at least a Shimano hub fitted.
Someone in here may have some hands on experience of these & my assist you further.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Rob and :welcome: to the forum.

As @weareHKR says those Formula hubs are rather cheap and cheerful so I think you best solution is to junk it and get a Shimano in there. You might even like to try doing it yourself to get some wheel building skills.

Good luck.

OP
OP
cheshirerob

cheshirerob

Hello Rob and :welcome: to the forum.

As @weareHKR says those Formula hubs are rather cheap and cheerful so I think you best solution is to junk it and get a Shimano in there. You might even like to try doing it yourself to get some wheel building skills.

Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome👍🏻

I will take your advice and have a look into that. Also my LBS is booked up for the foreseeable, so its a good excuse for me to learn new skills.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Formula hubs are fine actually. I ran some on my commuter, and the bearing changes were a doddle. I have some higher end Forula through axel on my MTB, and again they have been great. Really easy to replace the bearings, and when you do, you just get upgraded ones. Simple.

I'll take a look for the service manual. You can easily replace the berings on the freehubs.

OP
OP
cheshirerob

cheshirerob

If it's a 2020 model is it not still under warranty?

I purchased it new around 8 weeks ago as a discounted leftover, online from a bike shop a which is a fair drive away. I have only cycled around 700 miles on it. Although through rain and muddy roads, I suspect bearings will be classed as a wear and tear item with regards to any warranty.

OP
OP
cheshirerob

cheshirerob

Formula hubs are fine actually. I ran some on my commuter, and the bearing changes were a doddle. I have some higher end Forula through axel on my MTB, and again they have been great. Really easy to replace the bearings, and when you do, you just get upgraded ones. Simple.

I'll take a look for the service manual. You can easily replace the berings on the freehubs.

The formula hubs seem to get a bashing everywhere, even today in my LBS they were suggesting I bin them and purchase some new mavic aksium elites.

I just need to remove the freehub from the hub then can hopefully remove the bearing. Trying to find a 16mm allen key locally to undo the thing has proved impossible today. Ive ordered one online now so will have to wait a couple of days. Also located a new freehub with bearing installed for £20, however stock isnt due in until Jan 15.

Having not cycled for two days ill probably just have a little cry and a cornetto, or buy another bike so im never off the road.

OP
OP
cheshirerob

cheshirerob

Cheaper to put new hubs in than shell out for Mavic Elites

Ive acquired all the tools now for the current set up, so ill stick with just bearing changes, like you say no need to shell out. Also when i've completed the job it will only take a matter of minutes next time.

Mr Celine

Discordian
If it's the freewheel bearing and not the wheel bearing (only noisy when freewheeling) then 700 miles or 8 weeks is not a wear item, it's not fit for purpose.
Or just live with it and keep pedalling...:bicycle:

Reactions: C R

PpPete

Legendary Member
Arrggh! Low end Specialized wheels are a work of Stan.
They use low grade components with inadequate quality control and bodge them into things that look not entirely unlike bicycle wheels, but often perform very poorly.

Before you do anything else, my recommendation would be to spend £9 on this: https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
Even if you never take up the challenge of building your own wheels (and it's something I heartily recommend), swopping rims & hubs, you will learn a lot - and possibly save yourself quite a bit of cash on tools by making your own.

The first wheel I ever built used a hub from a wheel with a scrap rim, a rim from another where the hub was seized solid, and spokes from a third otherwise useless POS. I used it for a while, my son rode an End to end on it, and ten years later it's about to be retired from commuting duties because the brake track is distinctly concave. I'll probably re-use the hub in another build one day.

OP
OP
cheshirerob

cheshirerob

If it's the freewheel bearing and not the wheel bearing (only noisy when freewheeling) then 700 miles or 8 weeks is not a wear item, it's not fit for purpose.
Or just live with it and keep pedalling...:bicycle:

Seems like wheels have become like pedals, buy a new bike, bin and upgrade. It will end up like Trigger’s broom

OP
OP
cheshirerob

cheshirerob

Just a follow up to this thread.....

I stripped the back wheel hub, also needed to purchase a 14mm allen key to remove the freehub and a 16 notch bb spanner to remove the centrelock brake discs.

The freehub pawls are in an unserviceable closed unit, however I used a syringe with mineral oil to try and force a drop or two in. Also checked the bearings, they were a bit grubby and lacking in grease, cleaned them both and packed with lithium grease.

Just been for a 40 mile pootle and happy to report the bike is running like new again.

I was surprised to be having issues after 8 weeks, but here is a picture of the roads around Cheshire......
1607178443419.jpeg

Top Bottom