Cannondale Topstone rocking rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LJR69

I have Topstone 105 Carbon and when I apply the rear brake while stationary I can rock the rear wheel to-and-fro by a small amount (unlike the front wheel which is rock solid and doesn't move at all). I've had the bike just 3 weeks and only done around 100 miles on it. I'm cycling again for the first time in 37 years and so obviously tech and bike engineering has moved on considerably and so I don't know whether this is some kind of 'floating hub' or whatever

Is this normal?

si_c

Guru
Nope, not normal. Wheel needs the bearing preload fixing. Did you buy the bike from a shop or online?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Is there any movement of the wheel without the brake applied, ie. sideways or vertical?
I would have a look to see if the brake caliper bolts are correctly tightened onto the seat/chain stays.

OP
OP
LJR69

LJR69

Thanks for the help!

@si_c Yeah, I didn't think it was right. I purchased from Pedal On in Tadley. Great shop and I've emailed them this morning too
@Sharky It's hydraulic disc brakes (sorry, should have mentioned)
@Paulus @fossyant - I can't rock the wheel sideways or vertically at all. I just checked the calliper and it looks like it's mounted okay (from what I can tell) and it itself can't be moved and rocked.

Here's a quick video I just took of it (pls excuse the dirt which I picked up on yesterday's ride - being washed after work today :smile: )

View: https://youtu.be/dudPSuLvElI

Top Bottom