Cannot cycle uphill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How did we ever manage with only 5 gears .....

I think 'by being younger' is part of the answer to that.
I used to struggle climbing this hill on my 5-speed racing bike when I was 13 ...

Barkers Butts Lane.jpg

I romped up it on a single-speed bike at the age of 53! :okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd agree with the comments up thread - the gears on your hybrid were almost certainly lower than your road bike, making hills that bit easier.

The lowest gear I've got on my hybrid is 26/34 which is nearly low enough to climb a cliff, but on my best road bike it's a very different 36/28...the only solution is more time in the saddle tackling hills.

ColinJ

I used to live up there on the right hand side.
Small world!

Yeah, Coventry's not as hilly as it used to be^_^
I was pretty shocked on my first visit to Yorkshire when I found out what 'proper' hills looked like!

I did manage to ride up Barkers Butts Lane as a child but found it hard work, and many cyclists just gave up and walked.

ColinJ

I'd agree with the comments up thread - the gears on your hybrid were almost certainly lower than your road bike, making hills that bit easier.

The lowest gear I've got on my hybrid is 26/34 which is nearly low enough to climb a cliff, but on my best road bike it's a very different 36/28...the only solution is more time in the saddle tackling hills.
I would agree if Jamie had said that he found it harder to climb steep hills, but what he posted was that he couldn't get up any hills. Even on road bike gearing he ought to be able to crawl up moderate hills if he has enough power to ride at 25 mph on the flat.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm hopeless on hills but I've found that gearing helps a lot. You can make things easier by getting a cassette with a larger number of teeth for the rear, and a chain ring with a smaller number of teeth for the front. I had 28/28 on my first road bike. Practice does improve matters, but at my age I'm fighting a losing battle. To get better, I chose a particular hill that I found challenging, and went up it every weekend, gradually trying to get to the top with more gears "to spare". It wasn't scientific, but it gave me a very crude indication of my progress.

Good luck, and most of all, have fun.

classic33

Leg End Member
I normally do that climb in just one gear ...

... my lowest! :laugh:

I have seen people tackle gradients of 15-20% on fixed with something like a 70 inch gear. I think it is bonkers, but very impressive!
Where would you rate "The Buttress" and the road through Heptonstall?

Top Bottom