Cannot cycle uphill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

I get you, but I think in this instance it means positioning yourself to get the maximum intake of air into the lungs.

In which case, his analogy completely misses the point. Basically, he's just wrong from every perspective ;)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thank you everyone. Some great advice here. I am definitely not fit enough, there's no doubt about that.

I do need to learn how to change gears better too. The number of times I click up instead of down is shocking.

I'll let you know how I get on once I've got the fitness up.

I've got almost the same bike as you. I'm a bit lighter than you (13st v 16st). I can get up any Peak District hill with my lowest gear which is 34 front, 27 rear

The gearing you have available is enough for any hill if you're fit and you use the gears correctly. In terms of "use the gears correctly" by that I mean you need to be in a gear that lets you pedal at a reasonable cadence (the number of revolutions per minute). If you are in your easiest gear (36/28) and you still can't get up a hill you can either keep the same gearing and get fitter or buy lower gears. It's up to you

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Freak of nature more like!!
Yes, that time you did Ventoux in your Gucci slingbacks was an education to us all. Especially the derring do on the descent.

Aerobic efficiency has nothing to do with riding position.

Of course it hasn't.

Meanwhile in the real world, where people actually ride bikes, and even post about it sometimes, the better your body position is for enabling full inflation of the lungs, and free movement of the diaphragm, the less the oxygen debt you'll be on at the end of a climb.

Last edited:
Top Bottom