Can't adjust barrel adjuster on rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevie_b

I've just fitted new cables (inner and outer) for my gear shifters. My rear derailleur is an 8-speed Acera. The problem I'm having is that the ferrule where the outer cable terminates (derailleur end) is getting stuck in the barrel adjuster. I physically can't turn the barrel adjuster without pliers, and when I do, the outer twists (which can't be good).
On the other hand, I can't *not* push the ferrule into the barrel adjuster otherwise there would be nothing for it to adjust. Is this a common problem, if so any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I've had a look on another bike and the cable ferrule can spin within the metal part of the barrel adjuster, something that's not happening on my bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's corroded. You do need to pop lube in there once in a millennium. Have you ever popped in lube at the adjuster ?

Squirt WD40 or GT85 in there but you need to do this once in a while. You'll need a few attempts to sort this, but do keep away from pliers. New gear mech then...

Tim Hall

It could be corrosion, as fossy says, although it might be that you've used a ferrule that is too big. Or both. Does the adjuster turn OK without the cable present? Can you see a build up of crud in the part the ferrule sits in? Either get a new adjuster, or clean the old one out.

Garethgas

Remove cable and try to turn the adjuster with nothing connected. If it's stiff, then it will either be corroded or possibly cross threaded.
Is it a plastic adjuster or aluminium?

migrantwing

Veteran
As stated above, take the adjuster out, give it a good clean and lubricate both the threads and where the adjuster threads into the rear derailleur. I make a habit of dropping a spot of oil or chain lube on all moving parts every week or after a few rides. Helps keep things moving. Pivot points on brakes and derailleurs and shifters. Make sure to wipe off any excess oil that has run, especially around the brakes.

OP
OP
S

stevie_b

Thanks for the replies. I haven't got the bike with me right now but I'm pretty sure that I could turn the adjuster with nothing connected to it. If that's the case, maybe the ferrule is too big like Tim said. I didn't know they came in different sizes: is it a case of taking the old cabling to my LBS and getting them to match the old ferrule size?

I'll also check for corrosion: the metal insert inside the adjuster seems a bit rusty but not enough to seize it in position.

OP
OP
S

stevie_b

£1.99! Cheaper than I was expecting! I've had another go with it tonight. It seems to be (as predicted by some of you on here) a combination of the ferrule being ever so slightly bigger than the old one (so I put one of the old ferrules on the new cable) and the metal barrel bit being corroded. I've cleaned up the barrel as best I could, sprayed it with WD40 and put it back together to get me back in the saddle tomorrow. I think the barrel is on borrowed time though.

Thanks for all the help!

migrantwing

Veteran
£1.99! Cheaper than I was expecting!

Me, too.

Top Bottom