Can't afford a Brompton ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
They don't there's signs on the trolley saying not to, Sainsburys definitely and others but they are ignored.
Probably because infants in nappies can't read very well.

12boy

Guru
I know Xootr Swifts are rare in the UK but they are excellent bikes in terms of riding and durability. They are on summer sale right now for 599.00 US and while there might be some shipping and import costs, they are the stoutest aluminum folders I have seen. You might check them out if you want a serious contender that is not a dahon/tern. They do not fold as small but they fold as fast as you can pop 2 QRs and pull a seat post. They can be taken down to a packable size in about 10 minutes for airline travel. I think of mine as more like a poor man's Moulton and have been very satisfied with it. I still use my Brompton a lot, especially as it has fenders and can carry a lot more, especially with the shopping bag and the front luggage mount..

TrishE

Über Member
Probably because infants in nappies can't read very well.
It's toddlers and older that are put in the main part of the trolley by their parents I meant rather than the baby in the seat at the front.

Could always put a Brompton in a bag before putting it in the trolley. If I did that with my folder wouldn't fit any shopping in :laugh:

oldbadger

Regular
You know they let alive, pooping humans sit in those trolleys?
So you don't ever use foodmarket trolleys then?
I mean, think of all that pooooo touching your selections!
I wonder how you do a weekly shop?
Or do you just put your folder in the trolley and get shopping anyway?
And think of those dogs which go round the shop with their owners..... what do they do?

Bottom line is, bike wheels (and bikes!) are dirty and foodmarkets would be wise to ban 'em, whilst babies and certain dogs will not be left outside, so these cases we tend to accept and respect.

srw

So you don't ever use foodmarket trolleys then?
I mean, think of all that pooooo touching your selections!
I wonder how you do a weekly shop?
Or do you just put your folder in the trolley and get shopping anyway?
And think of those dogs which go round the shop with their owners..... what do they do?

Bottom line is, bike wheels (and bikes!) are dirty and foodmarkets would be wise to ban 'em, whilst babies and certain dogs will not be left outside, so these cases we tend to accept and respect.

Shoes! Dirty things, shoes. You don't know where they've been, so everyone should be made to take their shoes off. And hands! Nasty, filthy, things, used for all sorts of muckily intimate tasks. Cut them off. Or at least provide mandatory gloves. Sneezing! Spreads germs like mad, even if covered by a handkerchief. Hankies! Germ-rags more like
Ban'em!

oldbadger

Regular
Shoes! Dirty things, shoes. You don't know where they've been, so everyone should be made to take their shoes off. And hands! Nasty, filthy, things, used for all sorts of muckily intimate tasks. Cut them off. Or at least provide mandatory gloves. Sneezing! Spreads germs like mad, even if covered by a handkerchief. Hankies! Germ-rags more like
Ban'em!
It's not down to us, but retailers. True?
Harrods probably won't let a foldup in, they won't let you wear a rucksack in their store, and that's because certain items increase the risk of breakages.
Whatever, if a retailer does not want a particular item in the store then it's banned (subject to the Equality Act 2010), and no reason even needs to be given.

You don't want to struggle home, balancing chickens and loaves on your head....go shopping in your nice warm car! :tongue:

TrishE

Über Member
You don't want to struggle home, balancing chickens and loaves on your head....go shopping in your nice warm car! :tongue:
No car thankfully but I carry shopping in baskets front and rear on a full size bike, or a rucksack on the folder :smile:
IMAG1396_1.jpg

srw

Harrods probably won't let a foldup in
Bzztt!

Not only are they on the Brompton Road, they're absolutely fine with the bikes.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?...5ivqoip5g50&topic=67927.msg1555072#msg1555072

They've even been known to sell them.
http://www.harrods.com/style-insider/news/aw15/the-ultimate-gifts

oldbadger

Regular
No car thankfully but I carry shopping in baskets front and rear on a full size bike, or a rucksack on the folder :smile:
Great! Absolutely brilliant! :smile:
A friend has recently sold his car and invested in a bicycle trolley, and it's changed his life.... and he feels even more fit than before.... :smile:
I took my car off the road this last summer, and cycle much more. But that is a bit of a cop out because my wife keeps hers and I can drive it as well. But I would be happy to dump that car as well. :smile:

oldbadger

Regular
Bzztt!

Not only are they on the Brompton Road, they're absolutely fine with the bikes.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?...5ivqoip5g50&topic=67927.msg1555072#msg1555072

They've even been known to sell them.
http://www.harrods.com/style-insider/news/aw15/the-ultimate-gifts
...he was on business... might make a difference. Back Door? Yes.... they searched his rucksack, probably as he left, and that would never happen on a Public sales floor.
Harrods will make you remove (and carry) a rucksack, because they swipe displays as a person turns, and I suspect that they won't want any folders being carted, wheeled or carried around their sales floors.
Either way, apart from some Brompton owners, who wants to have to lug their folder around shops or other buildings? Most other owners just secure them and walk inside without all that clutter.
And as already mentioned, the underground will take small bagged folders, but most riders ride, and riding through, across and round London is one of the best journeys in Britain. :smile:

Another point.... another member has explained that having lost his brompton to theft, that he would not bring another to London again. He was insured, but that never took away the feeling of loss and present insecurity in connection with leaving a bike in London. It's rather like business people who own beautiful watches but would never consider wearing them whilst walking London streets.
If a (much) less expensive folder can offer a good ride, and significantly reduce risks because of its lower value, and this could restore feelings of safety/security for an owner, and decrease anxiety when the bike is locked and left, then..... yeah, it can make sense for some folks.

Kell

Veteran
I think the point is getting a bit laboured now about the value of a bike to a thief. Of course there will be some that target specific brands or models because of the value, but most will literally nick anything if they can get it off the rack. Obviously Bromptons have a higher retail value, but the majority of people I speak to about my bike have no idea that it cost anything like as much as it did.

My big worry was reading about people targetting riders while on the bike. As most Bromptons aren't left anywhere to nick them, then the only option is to get the bike while it's being ridden.

oldbadger

Regular
Any business that doesn't allow me in with my Brompton doesn't need my business.
Don't think of it so much as witholding a bit of profit from a business, but rather denying yourself yet another lump of freedom to go where others please. :tongue:
Ewwww..... so contentious! ^_^

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
another member has explained that having lost his brompton to theft, that he would not bring another to London again. He was insured, but that never took away the feeling of loss and present insecurity in connection with leaving a bike in London. It's rather like business people who own beautiful watches but would never consider wearing them whilst walking London streets.
That's not what I said at all.
I don't have a need to bring a Brompton to London now, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so.
I just wouldn't leave it locked up on the street for very long. And it wasn't the feeling of loss or insecurity ( I have plenty of other things to feel insecure about!), just the pain-in-the-arse that is dealing with insurance companies and their back-handing sidekicks who supply the replacement bikes, if and when they can be bothered. Wheelies, I'm looking at you.

Top Bottom