Can't afford a Brompton ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They don't there's signs on the trolley saying not to, Sainsburys definitely and others but they are ignored.
The supermarket near me still has child seats in their trolleys, and the kids using them a usually still in nappies. Have they stopped using those trolleys at Sainsburys?
I wonder how you do a weekly shop?
I assume that the trolleys are dirty. Everything I buy at the supermarket is wrapped. I certainly wouldn't put an unwrapped loaf of bread in a trolley and assume it was still safe to eat. Produce is usually unwrapped, but I wash that. They grow them in actual dirt!
Bottom line is, bike wheels (and bikes!) are dirty and foodmarkets would be wise to ban 'em, whilst babies and certain dogs will not be left outside, so these cases we tend to accept and respect.
Um, no supermarket I use has dogs walking around in it.

Generally - back to locking a folder - I generally didn't take a lock with me because I practically never left it anywhere so why carry an extra kilo or 2 all the time for no reasons. I also didn't actually own a lock, and it made no sense to spend £40 or more for something I practically never needed and probably wouldn't have with me when I did need it. And I'd need a cable as well to secure the saddle.

I certainly wouldn't lock up in bike in central London with a "wire". They'll steal anything, even with no actual value, if you let them.

TrishE

Über Member
It's toddlers and older that are put in the main part of the trolley by their parents I meant rather than the baby in the seat at the front.

Could always put a Brompton in a bag before putting it in the trolley. If I did that with my folder wouldn't fit any shopping in :laugh:

Only lock I ever carried on the Brompton was a cheap cable lock for locking when I was doing a weekly long distance train trip, to prevent a thief nipping off the train with it at an intermediate station (luggage racks not entirely in line of sight). The rest of the time it stays with me. Haven't ever been refused entry anywhere with it.

oldbadger

Regular
The supermarket near me still has child seats in their trolleys, and the kids using them a usually still in nappies. Have they stopped using those trolleys at Sainsburys?
I still see child-seat trolleys at most supermarkets, but every large trolley has a swing-out seat for infants and juniors. I once saw a woman take a child's nappy off, look up and down the aisle, and then drop it on the floor and push it under a display. I was looking at produce on the aisle's end. The manager banned her from the store. Some people.....!

I assume that the trolleys are dirty. Everything I buy at the supermarket is wrapped. I certainly wouldn't put an unwrapped loaf of bread in a trolley and assume it was still safe to eat. Produce is usually unwrapped, but I wash that. They grow them in actual dirt!
Sure.... manure even. But if a store employree should ever challenge a biker for wheeling, carrying or trolley a bike through trhe store it might be best to try some other approach.... :tongue:

Um, no supermarket I use has dogs walking around in it.
I already answered this, but honestly, medical assistance, canine partner, hearing and guide dogs all need to be given access to any store; ion fact it is unlawful to refuse them entry.

Generally - back to locking a folder - I generally didn't take a lock with me because I practically never left it anywhere so why carry an extra kilo or 2 all the time for no reasons. I also didn't actually own a lock, and it made no sense to spend £40 or more for something I practically never needed and probably wouldn't have with me when I did need it. And I'd need a cable as well to secure the saddle.
There aren't any rules.... we just make our decisions and take our chances. I don't transfer risk because I think that insurance premiums, claims, forms, delays, et al are a pain and I can afford to stand such a risk myself. I don't avoid the risk because I like biking and going out and the only way to avoid the risk is either to not have a bike or never to take it out :laugh:. I do reduce the risk because I use a cheap 3 digit wire lock and my bike is very inexpensive, and finally, I do accept that there is a risk, but there's a risk every time I get out of the bath, or walk up steps..... living is risking, up to a point... ask any mountain biker! :tongue:

I certainly wouldn't lock up in bike in central London with a "wire". They'll steal anything, even with no actual value, if you let them.
I did lock my folder with a wire, outside Victoria Station, because I used to meet my daughter atr waggamamas for dinner once a week, and it's unreasonable to carry folders into such places. I never lost it.... so I was lucky, but I expect any scummy thioeves out there might have preferred some of the richer items. My daughter did have a very good bike, and she never lost hers, but she used U-locks, wires, chains...... took her ages to fix 'em all. :smile:

Sure.... manure even. But if a store employree should ever challenge a biker for wheeling, carrying or trolley a bike through trhe store it might be best to try some other approach.... :tongue:
Yeah, but they don't. And why should they? As we agree, supermarkets floors and trolleys are dirty, so an occasional brompton or mezzo isn't going to make a difference .

Generally supermarkets would welcome your custom, and work with you if they can. I've even used supermarkets with a road bike on a few occasions when travelling without a proper lock, either leaving it inside the front door, asking security to keep an eye on it, and once wheeling it up the aisle .
Only lock I ever carried on the Brompton was a cheap cable lock for locking when I was doing a weekly long distance train trip, to prevent a thief nipping off the train with it at an intermediate station (luggage racks not entirely in line of sight). The rest of the time it stays with me. Haven't ever been refused entry anywhere with it.
Yeah, I bought one of those after my first FNRttC, when I had to stay awake on the train home.

Yeah, but they don't. And why should they? As we agree, supermarkets floors and trolleys are dirty, so an occasional brompton or mezzo isn't going to make a difference .

Generally supermarkets would welcome your custom, and work with you if they can. I've even used supermarkets with a road bike on a few occasions when travelling without a proper lock, either leaving it inside the front door, asking security to keep an eye on it, and once wheeling it up the aisle .

I still see child-seat trolleys at most supermarkets, but every large trolley has a swing-out seat for infants and juniors. I once saw a woman take a child's nappy off, look up and down the aisle, and then drop it on the floor and push it under a display. I was looking at produce on the aisle's end. The manager banned her from the store. Some people.....!

I already answered this, but honestly, medical assistance, canine partner, hearing and guide dogs all need to be given access to any store; ion fact it is unlawful to refuse them entry.

There aren't any rules.... we just make our decisions and take our chances. I don't transfer risk because I think that insurance premiums, claims, forms, delays, et al are a pain and I can afford to stand such a risk myself. I don't avoid the risk because I like biking and going out and the only way to avoid the risk is either to not have a bike or never to take it out :laugh:. I do reduce the risk because I use a cheap 3 digit wire lock and my bike is very inexpensive, and finally, I do accept that there is a risk, but there's a risk every time I get out of the bath, or walk up steps..... living is risking, up to a point... ask any mountain biker! :tongue:

I did lock my folder with a wire, outside Victoria Station, because I used to meet my daughter atr waggamamas for dinner once a week, and it's unreasonable to carry folders into such places. I never lost it.... so I was lucky, but I expect any scummy thioeves out there might have preferred some of the richer items. My daughter did have a very good bike, and she never lost hers, but she used U-locks, wires, chains...... took her ages to fix 'em all. :smile:

oldbadger

Regular
Suzie Wilkes - Tried to take my bike into Tesco (late at... | Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/tesco/posts/604013962991072
Tried to take my bike into Tesco (late at night when hardly any customers were in)
and the security guard shouted that i wasn't allowed my bike in, to...
Tesco backs down after cyclist told he couldn't take Brompton into ...
road.cc/.../181328-tesco-backs-down-after-cyclist-told-he-couldnt-take-brompton-store
4 Mar 2016 ... Supermarket giant Tesco has said that Brompton folding bikes are welcome in its
... deleted, a customer service representative told him: "I'm sorry about this. ... @
Tesco (link is external) why does it being a method of transport ...
Brompton cyclist kicked out of Tesco again – a week after being told ...
road.cc/.../182345-brompton-cyclist-kicked-out-tesco-again-–-week-after-being-told-folding-bikes
12 Mar 2016 ... There is no policy on Brompton bikes & welcome customers who use them. ... “I
went in yesterday with my Brompton, half folded – so it can be .... Take my road
bike into either of my two local Co Op stores on my daily commute ...
It's not your call, it's a retailer's ........
Some will let you in if you ask, but if a retailer refuses, that's it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Me and @StuAff took our full size bikes into the lobby of Tesco on the Isle of Wight at about 3am.

We also had very oily hands due to a mechanical.

No bother from the staff, although I suppose they might have been less welcoming if the store had been busy.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Suzie Wilkes - Tried to take my bike into Tesco (late at... | Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/tesco/posts/604013962991072
Tried to take my bike into Tesco (late at night when hardly any customers were in)
and the security guard shouted that i wasn't allowed my bike in, to...
Tesco backs down after cyclist told he couldn't take Brompton into ...
road.cc/.../181328-tesco-backs-down-after-cyclist-told-he-couldnt-take-brompton-store
4 Mar 2016 ... Supermarket giant Tesco has said that Brompton folding bikes are welcome in its
... deleted, a customer service representative told him: "I'm sorry about this. ... @
Tesco (link is external) why does it being a method of transport ...
Brompton cyclist kicked out of Tesco again – a week after being told ...
road.cc/.../182345-brompton-cyclist-kicked-out-tesco-again-–-week-after-being-told-folding-bikes
12 Mar 2016 ... There is no policy on Brompton bikes & welcome customers who use them. ... “I
went in yesterday with my Brompton, half folded – so it can be .... Take my road
bike into either of my two local Co Op stores on my daily commute ...
It's not your call, it's a retailer's ........
Some will let you in if you ask, but if a retailer refuses, that's it.

FFS! If you've got a point can you kindly make the bugger?
If not, can we move on, because I for one am getting bored with this.

oldbadger

Regular
@oldbadger What's your agenda?
My agenda?
This thread is titled 'Can't afford a Brompton'.
So a good approach to that title might include steering away from Bromptons (which can't be afforded) to other less expensive makes. See? Get it?
It might help to show that in some areas that Bromptons aren't necessarily the ideal machine.
But then folks come along.... asking, 'What's your agenda?'
So we do our best to explain........
By the way....... 'What's your agenda?' ^_^

Top Bottom